starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat for check 565x2 + miss

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Edit: wrote this before you posted your reply above...

Quote Originally Posted by SmallvilleCK View Post
    I'm aware of the depth and knee travel discrepancies, that's why I reached out for some more eyes on me.
    I guess what I'm saying is that if you went for 565x5 (I mistakenly said 565x2 in my post) and got 2 reps, the failure is probably due to programming or recovery rather than technique. Also, you were increasing weight based on a set of 5 that was above parallel the previous week without a lot left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Nelson View Post
    As I understand it, that's the typical "MadCow 5x5" progression. Ramping sets to a top set of five on Monday, a light day Wednesday, then ramping sets to a top triple on Friday, aiming for an ~2.5% increase over Monday's top set. That top triple then becomes the next Monday's top set of five. Essentially a 2.5% per week increase, so, yes, extremely aggressive, especially for a guy that's squatting 500+ for reps (depth aside).
    That's crazy. That's a 2.5% increase for a set of 5, so more like 2.9% increase in e1RM per week!
    Last edited by manveer; 07-26-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    It's hard to critique Instagram video's since I can't slow them down/replay the important parts, etc but it just seemed like you got a bit loose on the decent and blew your wad on the recovery. Your second rep looked like it barely reached depth (can't tell, can't pause) and went up smoothly, however you got loose again on the third one, overshot depth and couldn't recover like the first one.

I don't lift as much as you, but last time I failed on one of the last reps like that, I'd attribute it to a CNS failure. Everything just gives out.

I feel like I shouldn't have to tell you this, but I will anyway, especially given the serious amounts of weighs you're lifting. You should be squatting within the rack. In this instance you were able to just throw the weight off of you backwards, but had you gotten stuck lower, the bar would squash you towards the floor. I don't want to post video's of people fucking themselves up and I don't want you to produce one of those video's. Stay safe please!
    This feels the most accurate, although I'm struggling to see where I got loose on the first and third reps. I'll upload the same video to YouTube and post it so you can pause and rewind. You said I overshot depth on the third one, but it looks about the same as the first. Are they both overshooting depth according to SS? You're right about the last rep, it was CNS fatigue from the first rep, but I also would like to know if anyone sees where I may have gone wrong with hips or knees on the way up that may have caused the form errors. You're saying you think I just lost tightness, maybe upper back? Usually I can feel when that happens, so I was under the impression that I came out of the hole funny.

As far as lifting in the rack, I agree with you I just didn't think I was anywhere near missing a rep, weight wise. I'm still doing 5s, but had planned on finishing this 12th week (which is the final week of MadCow), taking a deload week, and then getting a spotter and testing max singles inside a rack.

Thank you for your input.

Edit: video

https://youtu.be/3MdmwJperLw

I don't know why the video isn't a clickable link.
    Last edited by SmallvilleCK; 07-26-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added YouTube video

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Edit: wrote this before you posted your reply above...

I guess what I'm saying is that if you went for 565x5 (I mistakenly said 565x2 in my post) and got 2 reps, the failure is probably due to programming or recovery rather than technique. Also, you were increasing weight based on a set of 5 that was above parallel the previous week without a lot left in the tank.

That's crazy. That's a 2.5% increase for a set of 5, so more like 2.9% increase in e1RM per week!

Again though, the depth issue/above parallel was about form rather than discomfort with the amount of weight. My body doesn't have a consistent form dialed in fully yet, but I can make changes quickly if I know what to look for, which is why I'm here with you fine gentleman.

Just curious - what programming were you on before Madcow?

Just curious - what programming were you on before Madcow?
    I've always lifted viscerally, emotionally, so up until this year I've never followed a program other than one I wrote for myself based on working up to a near max single, backing off either a plate or quarter and trying to hit 7. If less than 7 is achieved, do the same workout, same heavy single, same drop down PAP set again until you can get 7. At that point, the next workout usually yeilds a bump of a quarter per side for the heavy single.

But most recently I ran MadCow mid last year, had a strongman competition this March, then ran a high volume program from Jesse Norris for a few months before transitioning back into MadCow.

Good luck, man. Seems like you have a lot of potential.

Looks like you just descended a little too upright on the first rep and then got forward on the way up trying to correct your back angle. Bar placement and stance look OK to me. Still, I think it's more program/recovery related than form.

Good luck, man. Seems like you have a lot of potential.

Looks like you just descended a little too upright on the first rep and then got forward on the way up trying to correct your back angle. Bar placement and stance look OK to me. Still, I think it's more program/recovery related than form.
    Thank you.

So form wise, you think that's too upright of a back angle? But the knee drift and depth were on point? If so, and I sit back farther to get a more oblique back angle, won't that change how far forward the knees are going?

Pretty damn strong man, and welcome to the boards. You can get some really good advice here! I ran something similar to madcow a while back. I was using Standard Starr, once I was unable to complete a top set of 5, I just ran all of the rep ranges out, kind of like TM. Anyway, good luck with the gainzzz!

Quote Originally Posted by SmallvilleCK View Post
    So form wise, you think that's too upright of a back angle? But the knee drift and depth were on point? If so, and I sit back farther to get a more oblique back angle, won't that change how far forward the knees are going?
    On rep 1, compare your back angle on the way down to your back angle on the way up. I think your knees stayed in position reasonably well until you hit the bottom. Depth was fine as far as I can see. I think if you had the same back angle going down as coming up (like on rep 2), you wouldn't have gotten forward.

starting strength coach development program
    On rep 1, compare your back angle on the way down to your back angle on the way up. I think your knees stayed in position reasonably well until you hit the bottom. Depth was fine as far as I can see. I think if you had the same back angle going down as coming up (like on rep 2), you wouldn't have gotten forward.
    I understand that it changed from descent to ascent, I'm looking for feedback on just the angle on the way down. Your post said I descended too upright, and I'm clarifying point and asking if that is true, how do I adjust that without affecting my knee travel, which looks pretty ideal.

I appreciate your feedback.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast