starting strength gym

Thread: 117.5kg/260lbs squat form check

Default 117.5kg/260lbs squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear reader,

First off, thanks for taking interest in my post! Info about me: age: 26, weight: 194lb Height: 6'3

I have been doing the SSLP for roughly 6-7 weeks now and as the weights get progressively heavier, form and technique are essential to keep injuries at bay. Therefore this post, although the book SSBBT (3rd ed.) has been a great help, I think I could definitely need some more "experienced" eyes to look at my form as my "novice" eyes can only see so much.

I also have some technique-related (minor) injuries for the squat that could help indicate some form/technique flaws:
    - Pain in the right elbow (fixed the pain 2 weeks back by switching from thumbless to thumbs around (Jordan and Baraki did this also), but now the pain is creeping up again in severity) --> might be due to high elbows in squat?
    - Slight pain in the knees day after squating --> nothing to write home about but might indicate something --> could be due to caving knees in the ascent of squat.
    - Pain in the hips (not wide enough stance?)

My self reflection of the lift
    - I should look down as i squat, my head is very overextended at the moment (so this is an easy fix)
    - My knees tend to cave a little on the ascent <---- how do i fix this? any cues? or is deloading the only option?
    - My back angle seems to change a little on the ascent <-- any ideas how to fix this?

So here is the video, it is the third and last set of fives:

I appreciate all the feedback you can give me!

Many thanks!

Felix

It would help to have the video from the back 45 degree angle. At the very least, you need to stop moving your head. Fix it so it's aimed at the spot out in front of you and keep it there the whole time. Do not lift your head! Related to this, make sure you're keeping your upper back in full extension.

I think your knees are also moving forward to much at the bottom of the lift, but it's hard to tell from this angle.

You're kind of light for your height. Make sure you're getting enough food.