starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check Hallppp

Red face Squat check Hallppp

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm at 350lb on LP bar speed slowed down a good bit these sets. Should I drop the weight and fix form or keep moving along?

On the first rep I feel I was a tad high. I was curious if I'm hitting depth on the rest of the reps. Also anything else I am dicking up on please let me know. Thank you for the help.

Check Form - YouTube

You are just barely at depth ir shallow on all five. You are letting your chest/upper back collapse at the bottom, your knees are sliding too far forward and you are dropping your head. Work on keeping your upper back in extension, and stop your knees' forward movement by the time you are halfway down.

Thanks Jeff! I'll drop a couple of pounds to work on this.

I would almost lean towards just barely not deep enough, but the camera seems like it's off-level a bit, so could be fine. You're tentative finding that depth, perhaps go into the bottom a little hotter (but don't dive-bomb). I know this is tricky since you're trying to find depth. Going in with more confidence might put you at perfection.

Agree with the collapsing at the bottom, and I chalk that up to tentativeness in finding depth. Think "UP!" on the way down and stay tight. Explode your ass out of the hole!

It looks like you get on your toes a bit too on a couple of these reps (heel comes up) on the way up (reps 2, 3, and 4). Focus on feeling the pressure evenly distributed between ball and heel.

On reps 4 and 5, your head is coming up on the way up. This happens as the weight feels heavy and is a natural reaction when we strain. But, you are going to keep that imaginary tennis ball under your chin so that your head/cervical spine stays in line w/ the upper back and you don't get into your chest (because when you look up = chest up = knees forward = losing our hamstrings). I do this too, and fixating closer to my feet has helped recently (if you want to try this, I would titrate how closer to your toes you look). This also helps me keep an eye on my knees staying out.
    - I know this seems sort of contrary to what Jeff said about dropping your head, but I think his is more in relation to keeping a tight thoracic position. Tennis ball and tight, chest-puffed position.

Tree-fiddy pretty good on LP, and it never hurts to deload in the name of form. Good on ya! Chip away at these as you find comfortable. The squat has a lot going on.
    Last edited by Chris Lippke; 07-28-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Woah thank you for the detailed response! Question what do you mean by fixating closer to my feet? Like look down more at my feet?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Constantpump View Post
    Woah thank you for the detailed response! Question what do you mean by fixating closer to my feet? Like look down more at my feet?
    Yes, the book would recommend about 3-5 feet in front of you for a spot to fix your gaze. I've found that moving that spot closer has helped with keeping my head from rising as well as keeping tabs on my knees out of the corner of my eye. Something you can play around with to see if it would work for you.