starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys, here's my video for the 3rd set of my latest squat workout

240 squat form check - YouTube

I have no idea if I am actually driving my hips up correctly. I also have a tendency to have my knees slide forward at the bottom of my squat.

Thanks for all the help.

Crowvahkin,
    You are breaking at the knees before breakng at the hips to initiate the squat. Hips and knees should break simultaneously. So, yes, your knees are traveling forward for the whole squat (knee slide). Hips and knees should break together and knees should travel forward for the first third of the squat. Hips should continue to reach back as you push your knees to the sides.
    Tell the guy lurking behind you to take a hike.

Just raise the safeties up a few notches, so that your pal there doesn't have to be in your business.

Hi Coach Nathan,
    Thank you for your quick response. I will incorporate your advice in my squat workout tomorrow. Would you suggest that's I still increase the weight on the bar or fix my form with the current weight or perhaps even decrease it?

The person behind me is a temporary solution to a dilemma I have not been able to figure out a solution to. If I place the safety bars one notch up, the barbell hits them at the bottom of my squat. And at the current position of the safety bars, I'm unable to rest the barbell on them even if I go right down to the bottom ATG in my squat. So I don't know what to do if ever I get stuck at the bottom of my squat.

Practice failing with the safeties where they are. You can do it with the bare barbell. Just squat down, let the barbell push you down, bend forward a little bit, and put the barbell on the pins. Dude behind you can relax.

I missed 4 workouts in a row due to terrible sleep and work timings and my own indiscipline. Today was my first workout back. I forced myself to go, on very few hours of sleep so just squatted a few reps with my max weight.

Here's a video of my last set: 18 August 2017 - YouTube

Really sorry about the way the video was shot. You may have to look at the mirror in front of the rack for the first rep.

I can see I'm still not breaking at the hips and knees simultaneously. I will work on that in the upcoming workouts. I set the safety bars one notch up and was very conscious of not letting the barbell hit them. So I may have been cutting off depth. I'd appreciate it if you guys could tell me. Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Practice failing with the safeties where they are. You can do it with the bare barbell. Just squat down, let the barbell push you down, bend forward a little bit, and put the barbell on the pins. Dude behind you can relax.

I can do that with the safety bars one notch up but then I feel like I'm cutting off depth and I don't even feel the stretch reflex