starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift questions

Default Deadlift questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't video myself doing deadlifts often, but I recorded my last 2 PR attempts. When looking at last weeks (couldn't quite lock out) I noticed that my thumb dragged up my kneecap rather than the bar having contact with it. Here's a video of last months PR where I'm doing the same thing.

390 DL July 6 2017 - YouTube

So, assuming this is contraindicated, what suggestions do you have for correcting it? I'm considering either widening my grip by an inch or 2, or not pointing out my toes as much.

Edit: I'm aware that DL form checks are typically done from the side. The video was taken with different intentions, and now serves to illustrate this particular question. Of course, inexperienced me might not be seeing something more critical than the path of my thumbs with respect to my knees...
    Last edited by Serack; 08-08-2017 at 06:17 AM.

The invariable question that you'll receive is why are you doing a 1RM PR? It's certainly not part of the LP program. Perhaps you've moved onto intermediate programming. I will assume this.

As far as the pull, you need to squeeze your chest harder. You're pulling with bent elbows. This is not good for your supinated arm and can lead to biceps tears. No bueno.

In what you probably assume is squeezing the chest, you're dropping your hips. See how they drop and then once you start pulling they shoot up? They need to just stay in that up position from the onset. Think about spreading your chest to the wall in front of you. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    The invariable question that you'll receive is why are you doing a 1RM PR? It's certainly not part of the LP program. Perhaps you've moved onto intermediate programming. I will assume this.
    Although I am probably due some unfucking of my programing, no, my novice gains days are past. In truth, my goals for the past couple months have revolved around my attempting last week's failed 405 pull concurrent with my daughter being born. She arrived over 2 weeks early though... And now it's time to fulfill my promise to the Mrs to get rid of some of the andipose tissue I gained during my pursuit of strength.

Back to technique:

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    As far as the pull, you need to squeeze your chest harder. You're pulling with bent elbows. This is not good for your supinated arm and can lead to biceps tears. No bueno.

In what you probably assume is squeezing the chest, you're dropping your hips. See how they drop and then once you start pulling they shoot up? They need to just stay in that up position from the onset. Think about spreading your chest to the wall in front of you. Hope this helps.
    Hmmmm, reading your mentioning of the "squeeze your chest" que with respect to the elbows not being locked out has me chin scratching... *checks the usage of that que in THE BOOK*

Ok, by your usage, it sounds as though you mean "contract the Pecs" to have them draw in the humerus to lock in my elbows, but the book refers to that Que "squeeze your chest up" to mean using the upper back muscles to initiate spinal extension.

But yah, the hip drop would be associated with poor execution of the chest up que as used in the book, and I do struggle with the pronated hand moving forward during that part of the lift.

Sooooo, yah, maintain raised hips by squeezing/spreading chest up to wall, contracting pecks to keep elbows locked... did I get it?

And what about respective positions of my knees and hands?

Narrow your stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Narrow your stance.
    *checks THE BOOK again* *Checks stance*

Ok, the book says "about 8-12 inches between the heels." The center line of my heals are about 11" apart, so I have plenty of room to work with on that, and sans other advice, I'll try that before my other two ideas.

Thanks for the input

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You're combining steps 2 and 3 on the setup...separate them. You're also dropping your hips too low, which is why there's a short jerk before the bar starts moving up.

I agree that narrowing the stance and a little more chest up would be useful.

Hi there,

1. Bring your heels in a couple inches, shoot for the 8" mentioned in the book, this will fix your thumb/grip width issue
    2. Squeeze your chest UP while also contracting your lumbar spine.
    3. Keep your hips in the original spot reached when you brought your shins, that are 1" from the bar, to the bar.

Questions:
    1. Why are you mixing your grip?
    2. Have you tried Hook-gripping?
    3. Why are you testing your max?

Anna Marie Oakes-Joudy, SSC

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Marie Oakes-Joudy View Post
    Hi there,

1. Bring your heels in a couple inches, shoot for the 8" mentioned in the book, this will fix your thumb/grip width issue
    2. Squeeze your chest UP while also contracting your lumbar spine.
    3. Keep your hips in the original spot reached when you brought your shins, that are 1" from the bar, to the bar.
    Thanks for the input (and Brodie too)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Marie Oakes-Joudy View Post
    Questions:
    1. Why are you mixing your grip?
    2. Have you tried Hook-gripping?
    3. Why are you testing your max?

Anna Marie Oakes-Joudy, SSC
    1. Because I lost my straps last year, and around that time I watched a few videos of Jordan pulling 700+ with mixed grip, so that's what I went to.
    2. No. I'll re-read Jordan's The Grip Problem and re-evaluate my choice in grip.
    3. Short version: Life. Slightly longer version, I promised the Mrs. that after 2 years of accumulating adipose tissue in (sub-optimally programed) pursuit of strength, I'd cut once our daughter was born which was scheduled for next week. The 405 PR attempt was supposed to be 2 days later, before the cut started. She came a little over 2 weeks early though.

It's likely that at some point I'll pony up the $ to get SSC coaching, but since Jordan left town, it's an extra 40 minutes of driving to see Danielle or Michael Rodlier.