starting strength gym

Thread: Squat / DL form check

Default Squat / DL form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    33 YOM @ 6'1" 200lb. I'm a firefighter / paramedic / father of 3 in San Antonio looking to get stronger for my job and for life. I've been doing dedicated training for about 3 years now.

I started my novice LP @ 175lbs and finished it a few months back (after a couple of resets) at 300x5 / 335x1 SQ; 360x5 / 425x1 DL; 225x5 / 260x1 BP; and 170X5 / 185x1 OHP. I took a break, and am now a few weeks back into a modified TM program. Started the program at 195 and have been adding a pound a week w/ approx 3600kcal/day. I'm not looking to be a competitive powerlifter and would be more than content to top out at 365 SQ, 455 DL, 300 BP, and 200 SP before I start maintaining and adding conditioning back in for general health.

Back squat 270 x 5
    Back squat 270x5 - YouTube

Deadlift 360x5
    Stylish Deadlift 360x5 - YouTube

Thanks in advance for the help!

Squat - Please get video from the rear 45 degree angle as there are key diagnostics not visible from this angle (stance width, knees out, bar position, etc.). From what I can see here, you are not staying tight at the bottom. See how you bounce off your calves at the bottom and your knees shoot forward? That shouldn't happen. The bottom bounce is a result of the knees not moving and your hamstrings staying under tension.

Deadlift - please show your set up. You have the bar too far forward of your shins which is impacting your pull.

I'll get a rear 45 on the next intensity day, thanks Jeff!

dannyleerod-

That seems like some pretty good run on your LP. I think you can be more aggressive with your weight gain- shooting for 2-3 pounds a week- which probably means you need to increase your calories to closer to 4500kcal/day. You are for sure underweight still at that height!

I would advise you not to worry about topping out at anything- those are good goals- but how do you know that a 365 squat is sub-par for you?

Squat:

You need to lean over- right away at the top. You back angle is changing the whole way down and the whole way up, because it never get horizontal enough. You trying to drive you hips up- but can't do it very effectively because your chest is too vertical. You could lift a lot more weight with a more efficient hip drive.

Deadlift:

Do you know where your mid-foot is? When you set up your deadlift- the bar should be over where your shoe laces are- that is your mid foot. You are making a classic mistake of putting the bar over the middle of the flat part of your foot. Mid-foot is actually over the bones right by where your ankle starts. Start the bar here and then drop your shins to the bar- without moving the bar. You are doing a good job squeezing your back up- but your whole lift is forward onto your toes because you aren't starting the bar in the correct place.

Keep up the good work though- you can tell you have put in some time to get stronger! Clean up these lifts and you can lift a lot more weight...

I just re-read your original post. If you're in San Antonio, you really ought to just get an in-person session with Dr. Baraki.

Yep- Coach Austin is there - coaching is worth the investment!

Thank you both kindly for the insight and sage advice, I appreciate it! Bekah, I'm not looking to be super competitive and would be content with the numbers listed. It's taken me three years to get where I am and have noticed the last year and a half that the progress is much slower and more difficult to come by (I'm sure you SSC's reading this are shaking your head in disdain because of the weight I'm at, haha). I'm looking to add maybe 15 more pounds to my frame and hopefully the extra weight will make progress easier to come by!

I actually went to a SS seminar that our fire dept hosted a year and a half ago and Austin was there and obviously very wise and knowledgeable. My little brother has also done a couple of coaching sessions with him and said they were very helpful, so I may do it when we have a good financial month. Stay at home wife and three daughters doesn't leave a whole lot leftover usually

Swamp ass 45 degree angle of 275x5 squat, as requested!

Squat 275x5 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    These look better. You're knees are still getting a little too far forward. Your first rep is a little sketchy and I think it's largely because you're rushing. Get set up under the bar tighter before you unrack it, then stand up with it and pause for a second before you step back. Then squeeze everything and start your first rep. Looking at your rack, I think if you can squat from the other side, so that cross member isn't in the way of your feet when you rack/unrack, you'll have an easier time.