starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Press' Hip Drive

Default The Press' Hip Drive

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Should the glutes squeeze when the forward part of the hip drive is done, or just the quads and abs?
    Last edited by Sandisk; 08-12-2017 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandisk View Post
    Should the glutes squeeze when the forward part of the hip drive is done, or just the quads and abs?
    The quads support your weight the abz keep you from arching your back too much (in theory). Everything should be rigid, but not moving. Except your glutes/low back/hips, which are what actually causes the lower body movement.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    The quads support your weight the abz keep you from arching your back too much (in theory). Everything should be rigid, but not moving. Except your glutes/low back/hips, which are what actually causes the lower body movement.
    That I understand, what I am asking is, is it necessary for the glutes to squeeze during the forward movement of the hips?

That I understand, what I am asking is, is it necessary for the glutes to squeeze during the forward movement of the hips?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Yes
    Do I need to forcefully squeeze the glutes or will it happen by itself if the drive is correctly initiated from the hips? Thanks, also, do the knees need to be fully locked or have a slight bend to them during the hip drive?

Do I need to forcefully squeeze the glutes or will it happen by itself if the drive is correctly initiated from the hips? Thanks, also, do the knees need to be fully locked or have a slight bend to them during the hip drive?
    Squeeze your glutes and flex your quads. Knees must be locked.

Squeeze your glutes and flex your quads. Knees must be locked.
    Squeezing the quads, should it be done by extending the knees as hard as possible when they're already locked (hyperextending), or simply using the mind-muscle connection? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just want to be sure I have everything understood correctly without any misconceptions.

Squeezing the quads, should it be done by extending the knees as hard as possible when they're already locked (hyperextending), or simply using the mind-muscle connection? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just want to be sure I have everything understood correctly without any misconceptions.
    You can squeeze your quads with your mind? Impressive.

Us mortals lock our knees by squeezing the quads. Do it yourself. Stand up and flex your quads as hard as you can. This will straighten (extend) your knees. They must stay this way for the lift.

You cannot drive your hips forward without your glutes. It is impossible.

starting strength coach development program
    You can squeeze your quads with your mind? Impressive.

Us mortals lock our knees by squeezing the quads. Do it yourself. Stand up and flex your quads as hard as you can. This will straighten (extend) your knees. They must stay this way for the lift.
    What about the way down of the lift? Does the hip drive need to be performed to clear the head out of the way again? But this time slower, without a bounce?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast