starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am just coming off a low back tweak. It seems to be related to inadequate engagement of the erecter muscles right above my pelvis, and basically butt wink made it hurt. I have real issues getting depth without rounding the lumbar spine right above the pelvis, and I'm trying to fix that. I think I was excessively horizontal which exacerbated that rounding/mobility issue and led to the injury, so I've tried to correct that.

Last set from the rear quarter, 225lbs: 3rd set 225 lbs - YouTube

Second set from the side, 225lbs:
    2nd set 225 lbs - YouTube

Any informed input is greatly appreciated.

I have numerous comments

Don't walk back three feet from the rack. If for whatever reason you need to rack it mid set, you probably want it closer to you than it is now.

You need to take a second or two in between reps to to get a new breath and set your back and get tight. Stand tall, breath, squeeze, and begin the descent.
    This will help with your lumbar because as it stands you don't have the time to get set up properly. (Though I'm not noticing a lot of flexion in these videos)

If you watch your knees during the second set you can see some knee slide at the bottom. It looks like your shoot your hips back too much at the start of the lift which causes youto be forward of the mid foot as you get to the bottom. Then your knees slide to get you back over midfoot. If you feel like the weight is getting on yours toes right before you get into the bottom this explains why. When descending, don't think just hips back, think hips down too. This will help you post your knees. Also, getting tighter before a rep will help with wobbly knees.

The weight moved fast though.

Alex,

He doesn't need to take breaths in between reps if he doesn't need to. Based on the speed of these reps, I'd say 2 reps, breath, 2 reps, breath, 1 rep would be fine, assuming he doesn't lose tension.

GCorbett,

You are pushing your butt back in the beginning without extending your knees much. Get your knees to their "bottom" location earlier.

Get 1in deeper. You're just slightly above parallel on the latter reps.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    Alex,

He doesn't need to take breaths in between reps if he doesn't need to. Based on the speed of these reps, I'd say 2 reps, breath, 2 reps, breath, 1 rep would be fine, assuming he doesn't lose tension.

GCorbett,

You are pushing your butt back in the beginning without extending your knees much. Get your knees to their "bottom" location earlier.

Get 1in deeper. You're just slightly above parallel on the latter reps.
    I'll definitely take the notes on pacing into account as the weight gets heavier and I can definitely work on initiating with more knee.

...but as for the depth, I have real issues keeping my lower lumbar in extension and getting down much lower. A few reps are starting to come out that way, so maybe my mobility is improving. Should I keep adding weight and progressing or stay at the same weight until I can get the depth figured out?

Quote Originally Posted by GCorbett View Post
    I'll definitely take the notes on pacing into account as the weight gets heavier and I can definitely work on initiating with more knee.

...but as for the depth, I have real issues keeping my lower lumbar in extension and getting down much lower. A few reps are starting to come out that way, so maybe my mobility is improving. Should I keep adding weight and progressing or stay at the same weight until I can get the depth figured out?
    You can probably hit depth on your next workout (based on the speed of these squats alone), you just need to actually commit to doing it. If you can, find a coach to help you.

Hitting full depth with an extended back is almost never a mobility issue. It's almost always a technique (and by extension, coaching) issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    Yes, he can do it that way, but I think developing a proper setup and tempo is important for when the weight gets heavy.

You will always be fighting to extend your back. You will get better at doing it, but the weight will get heavier as well.

Keep increasing the weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    Yes, he can do it that way, but I think developing a proper setup and tempo is important for when the weight gets heavy.
    If you do a proper set up, take a breath, then do a set of 5, it's less likely that you'll lose the set up than if you breath every rep and reset.

Are you suggesting I should try that on my intensity day tomorrow?

If you can. I usually hold my breath for my entire set of 5 for bench press. Deadlift and squat, I do one rep, one breath. On light squat days, I usually do a single breath for the set.

If you need to breathe, breathe, but if not, it's better to maintain the tension and just keep going.

starting strength coach development program
    If I did what you suggested I would probably black out and die

What are your work sets?
    Last edited by Alexander Rix; 08-13-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast