starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat check 280

Default Squat check 280

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Last set of 5. I went too low my second set, so I think I over compensated and missed depth. Been working on staying tighter and not nodding my stupid head as much.
    280 last set - YouTube

Here's me a couple weeks ago on my last set of 250. I guess I'm wondering if my firm is getting better or worse.
    Ugly squat technique - YouTube

First, pull your rack about six inches further from the wall. Second, lower the hooks one notch down. Third, get better thoracic extension (steps 1 and 2 will help as will reading the article on here about it). Fourth, narrow your stance a bit. Fifth, don't let your knees shoot quite as far forward (try a tubow). Sixth, keep your face, not just your eyes, fixed in place (you may find this easier if you turn the rack around).

Where do you live?

I live in the middle of Utah, about two weeks from anywhere. I'll definitely turn the rack around. I don't think I have as big of problem with my head at work where the rack is farther from the wall.

Yeah, unfortunately, the middle of Utah is a fair distance from any of the coaches. I do think getting away from the wall will help. I've had the problem of my form changing when I have to rack/unrack really close to a wall.

I'm a ways from anything resembling a coach. The only thing trainers have told me here is to stand up straighter. Maybe try p90x. So, I'm trying to do what I can with what I have. Is it at least getting better?

Well, I don't know that they're better from the "ugly" set, but they aren't worse. Regarding what the trainer said, I'm not sure what s/he is talking about and there's a good chance that it wouldn't really apply to a low bar back squat. Unless you like burning a lot of energy without getting stronger, I'd recommend avoiding p90x.

What I'd suggest is try to get a coaching session. If you can't do that, look into the Starting Strength Online Coaching. If that doesn't work, film every single set you do from your first empty bar warmup to your working sets. Watch each set of film before doing your next lifting set and make corrections as you go. You can accomplish an awful lot this way. Keep posting form checks, we'll help as much as we can.

In general you need your back to be tighter. "Standing tall" is a good cue because it will help you get/keep your back in extension. (You also need to squeeze to keep this position). How tight is your belt? it looks like there is a gap in the back. I suspect a loose belt is part of your problem.

How tall are you? It looks like you have long legs and, in particular, long femurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    In general you need your back to be tighter. "Standing tall" is a good cue because it will help you get/keep your back in extension. (You also need to squeeze to keep this position). How tight is your belt? it looks like there is a gap in the back. I suspect a loose belt is part of your problem.

How tall are you? It looks like you have long legs and, in particular, long femurs.
    That gap is from back fat on either side of my back. I'm about 5'11, used to be 6'2. I feel like I'm squeezing the hell out of my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Well, I don't know that they're better from the "ugly" set, but they aren't worse. Regarding what the trainer said, I'm not sure what s/he is talking about and there's a good chance that it wouldn't really apply to a low bar back squat. Unless you like burning a lot of energy without getting stronger, I'd recommend avoiding p90x.

What I'd suggest is try to get a coaching session. If you can't do that, look into the Starting Strength Online Coaching. If that doesn't work, film every single set you do from your first empty bar warmup to your working sets. Watch each set of film before doing your next lifting set and make corrections as you go. You can accomplish an awful lot this way. Keep posting form checks, we'll help as much as we can.
    Thanks, I'll invest in a tripod. Maybe a TUBOW if I can afford it. I'm definitely not doing p90x. I was just showing the caliber of coaches in my area. I got stronger than everyone at the comercial gym, which is sad considering how weak I still am. They advised me not to deadlift and told me not to use chalk. So now I lift alone at home. When I get the time, I plan on hitting a conference.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi.

As you might've picked up, there are quite a few things going on in your squat form but it's pretty easy to fix.

Firstly, please invest in a tripod or at least position your camera at hip height: the awkward angle and the wiggly camera make seeing diagnostic angles a chore.

The big issues are your stance, your knee position, and your back angle. All of which affect your hip drive. Your stance appears 1.0 to 1.5 inches too wide; narrow your stance so your heels are shoulder-width apart and turn your toes out more than they are. Your knees are not shoved out as hard as they could be, shove them out as hard as you can then shove them out more. You take a too long to set your back angle on the way down: right as you begin to descend, keep a proud chest as you point your chest to the ground...this should be done early and maintained. Keep your face down, you're reducing your hip drive by lifting your chin.

Be mindful to keep the bar over the middle of the foot.

There's a lot of nitpicky stuff like your wrists extension in the rack position on your back and just a general lack of tightness but fix the big stuff first.
    Last edited by Michael Burgos; 08-15-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast