starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started the SSLP on 6/4/17, with a recent 2 week hiatus for an unrelated injury. Current numbers:

BW: 229
    Squat: 285
    Press: 120
    Bench: 175
    Deadlift: 275 [Artificially low because I incorporated PC/Chins too soon. Dropped chins for the time being to improve DL progress]
    Power Clean: 120

Doing this without a coach or any kind of feedback on technique, so looking for input on squat technique as the weight goes up. Posting my third set at 285. Appreciate any insights. Thanks!

SS Squat 285 - YouTube
    [the squats don't actually start until about :50, fyi]

Knees out more. Push them out and keep them out. Also, these squats are high. Get deeper.

Get your knees to their final position earlier and shove your knees away from each other.

Every rep but the first squat is deep enough.

Thanks to both of you. I've been thinking that I should have my knees out wider. In attempting to do that, I've found that I get some pain/excessive soreness on the outside/lateral aspect of the knee. I've been weary of pushing it. Any thoughts on the reasons for that would be much appreciated.

I don't know that I can help with that, but more details would probably help someone else. What sort of pain/soreness? During the set/the same day/the next day? In the joint? In the tissues right around the joint? in the muscles near the joint? etc. etc.

Are your toes at about 30 degrees? Your knees have to track towards your toes. They aren't currently. I can imagine a forward toe direction coupled with the knees out cue could be problematic. I think your toes need to point out a bit more. Shove your knees out hard and push your hips back. They're just kinda going down now. They need to go back. You'll feel it in your hamstrings. Use that stretch to drive the hips up out of the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    Thanks to both of you. I've been thinking that I should have my knees out wider. In attempting to do that, I've found that I get some pain/excessive soreness on the outside/lateral aspect of the knee. I've been weary of pushing it. Any thoughts on the reasons for that would be much appreciated.
    Yeah, push your knees out, keep video taping your squats, and see if the knees tracking the toes (by pushing your knees out) helps.

As others have said above, turn your feet out more and shove your knees out more.

In addition, you might try widening your stance just a bit, and make sure your feet are level - looks like your right foot was a little ahead of the left.

Default Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    As others have said above, turn your feet out more and shove your knees out more.

In addition, you might try widening your stance just a bit, and make sure your feet are level - looks like your right foot was a little ahead of the left.
    Thanks folks! Going to de-load a bit, widen the stance a little, and get those knees out. I'll get another video up in a week or two after working on those adjustments.

starting strength coach development program
    Update here:

Third set of 5 at 300lbs.*

SS 300x5x3 3rd - YouTube

Thanks in advance!

*Coming back from a backpacking trip. Repeating 300 before getting back to LP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast