starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paused Reps, Tempo sets

Default Paused Reps, Tempo sets

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I see a lot of YouTube videos with paused reps or tempo sets that are way off. Funny, you can watch the YouTube clock, and see they are not even close to being as long as they are claimed to be.

None of this matters (I suppose), if the lifter is consistantly off in that regard, week to week, month to month, with different loads.

There was another thread about how time stands still during heavy sets/reps....taped sets don't look NEAR AS LONG as what it felt like when they were being ground out....etc etc etc.

I doubt the ability for a lifter to be able to tell a 2 sec pause, or a 5-0-5 tempo squat....when tired...or across different loads. And then in some cases, assigning an RPE to these sets.

If it's just bullshit accessory exercise movement...I get that. It doesn't fucking matter in the grand scheme of things I guess. But some in some of these programs it's a primary movement for the day. And a RPE'd lift...so......

ProTip:. You can download a ticking clock app on your smart phone for free....most you can adjust volume, or turn the tick into a beep or chirp or bell.

or a metronome app....you would.have to know the musical BS to set the beat for a second though.
    Last edited by MBasic; 08-19-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Are you trying to kill me? Paused deadlifts are horrible already, with a fast 1-2-3 mental count...

With regards to tempo lifts, I don't really believe they are intended for maximal loads due to the issues you described. On a maximal set of 5 for squats, maintaining the tempo is just insane. The situation in which my coach recommended tempo squats was to provide a solid 3 seconds on the descent to increase awareness of what my body was doing. this ended up being unnecessary.

I just started The Bridge this week, and will be doing tempo squats for the first time ever. Good thing I recently downloaded a metronome app. Guess I'll be finding out if I hate paused squats or tempo squats more.

EDIT - I should've asked Jordan, is it 2 actual seconds on the pause, or is based off RPT (rate of perceived time). Guess I'll go with 2 objective seconds, and not my feelings, for now.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 08-19-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I just started The Bridge this week, and will be doing tempo squats for the first time ever. Good thing I recently downloaded a metronome app. Guess I'll be finding out if I hate paused squats or tempo squats more.

EDIT - I should've asked Jordan, is it 2 actual seconds on the pause, or is based off RPT (rate of perceived time). Guess I'll go with 2 objective seconds, and not my feelings, for now.
    LOLs at RPT! Like when I'm in a boring mando-training power point lecture, RPT time stands still!!!

Austin and Jordan get asked about the timing of tempo work frequently in their IG live streams. Their answer is whether it is "1..., 2...., 3..." or " 1 one-thousand..., 2 one-thousand..., 3 one-thousand..." doesn't much matter, as long as you are consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    LOLs at RPT! Like when I'm in a boring mando-training power point lecture, RPT time stands still!!!

Austin and Jordan get asked about the timing of tempo work frequently in their IG live streams. Their answer is whether it is "1..., 2...., 3..." or " 1 one-thousand..., 2 one-thousand..., 3 one-thousand..." doesn't much matter, as long as you are consistent.
    The verdict is in, Jordan lives vicariously through the pain of others. Tempo and paused squats ALL suck. And my counting definitely speeds up as I get further into the set. I think I'll stick with RPT for now, no need to bother thinking about a metronome while suffering through my sets.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 08-19-2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: RPT = rate of perceived time

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

or a metronome app....you would.have to know the musical BS to set the beat for a second though.
    It's engineering bs. Convert units/sec. to units/min. /s

Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    It's engineering bs. Convert units/sec. to units/min. /s
    There was chart with a bunch of musical mumbo jumbo Latin words and shit....Alegro, Moderato, speghettio

The app you downloaded probably sucks. Try larghetto

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    you would.have to know the musical BS to set the beat for a second though.
    What? You mean the difficult conversion of 1 beat per second to 60 beats per minute?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast