starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 13 year old starting SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    Since December to this week: 3 Month gains. Middle of the Winter was hard at times, week long school field trip, sickness, etc. He has really just started to make consistent gains again.

Bench: 45 to 85 lbs NOW as of last training work sets 3x5: 105
    Squat: 115 to 165 lbs NOW: 190
    DL: 125 to 175 lbs NOW: 205
    Press: 35 to 55 lbs NOW: 55 (Not sure why?)
    Power Clean: Just started 65 lbs Now: 85 lbs.

Weight: 152 lbs. gain of 12 lbs.

As everyone already knows that I am finding out, food is everything. When I am not on top of his meals it really make a difference.
    Have you tried using fractional plates with the press?

Quote Originally Posted by alvin View Post
    Have you tried using fractional plates with the press?
    Not yet, maybe I will.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    In the past month or so with the increased calorie intake and the amount of milk he is drinking he has gotten him stronger and put on weight, but he has also gotten a little soft in the middle. I am currently "battling" the wife on the amount of milk because she sees the weight increase in the middle too. She is all on board with the training but doesn't want him to get a belly ("Like his father!") To be honest I am not trilled with the growing belly either. His upper body has no grown as fast as his legs to offset the belly. How do I balance the need for food, weight gain and strength gains for a 13 year old kid. at 5'7ish" 150 is now the point I can start cutting back a little on the milk and calories.
    I'm coming at it from the other angle LOL.

My son started out with all the gut and improved leverages that come with carrying more weight than he needed.

At 245-250 I told him he is carry enough weight, so just try not to gain, or if you can lose a bit. He's shaved off a couple pounds but lifts are progressing. He just started few weeks ago with serious every other day training now that basketball is finally over. He was doing the program more sporadically during basketball... whenever he could.

starting strength coach development program
    Got his wrestling pictures today. Interesting to see the difference in 3 months and 1 year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123