starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 year old starting SS

Default 13 year old starting SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

New to forum. I coach HS football and with my son entering 7th grade I began him on SS. I did a lot of research, bought the SS book and read it with him. As a son of a football coach he has been around the weight room his entire life. I searched the internet and there seems to be a lot of questions about when to start. I thought I would post his progress with the program two months in as a 13 year old. We work out before school M,W,F (I just began the program myself this week.)

Stats:
    Height: 5' 7"
    Weight: 140 lbs (He has been pretty consistent with 140, I think he is losing a lot of baby fat.)

Weights we started with to what we use with work sets now.

Bench: 45 to 85 lbs
    Squat: 115 to 165 lbs
    DL: 125 to 175 lbs
    Press: 35 to 55 lbs
    Power Clean: Just started 65 lbs

Bench and Squat have started to stall so we are going to de-load tomorrow on those exercises.

Below is a picture of him taken at West Point last Spring and then a picture taken this week. I think a lot has to do with natural development of a 13 year old boy, but he is definitely thicker when I grab him by his arm or shoulder today.

Looking forward to 6 months in the program, for him and me.

Good stuff. Now just get him to gain some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Thank you.

Yes we are starting to work on packing better lunches to school and increasing milk intake.

Starting to work on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    He ate about 3500 calories today. Do you think that is a good goal for each day?

For now.

My son will be 13 next summer. He's already asked me to teach him The Lifts, which I did, but he has other things on his mind and I've decided not push it, we'll start when he is ready. I think he might feel it more "necessary" next year when he starts in the Finnish equivalent of Junior High. I'd be really interested in seeing updates about this in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    He ate about 3500 calories today. Do you think that is a good goal for each day?
    Probably, but it doesn't really matter what I think. There's way too much variability between people for me to say. You'll have to judge by what the scale says, how his work set weights respond, and how he feels overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    My son will be 13 next summer. He's already asked me to teach him The Lifts, which I did, but he has other things on his mind and I've decided not push it, we'll start when he is ready. I think he might feel it more "necessary" next year when he starts in the Finnish equivalent of Junior High. I'd be really interested in seeing updates about this in the future.
    My son has a great attitude so far. I think he likes seeing the gains and how he can feel his body changing. It is a little easier for me to get his lifting in around his schedule because I work in the same school as he goes. it is easy for use to go to school early at a set time 3 times a week. Since the weight room is empty in the morning there is no distractions or wait, we can get in and out in 45 minutes. It really is a great program for him. We both have bought in. I will post another up date in two months.

I have him drinking 1/2 gallon of milk a day and have his increased his eating. It is not always easy to get him to eat enough but our new packed lunch he brings is helping.

starting strength coach development program
    Just a little update. Since the last update (about a month) has weight is up to 149 and his numbers have increased about 20lbs for work sets across the board, except for press. He still struggles with 55lbs on the press...

I have seen a tremendous change once we really started to focus on his diet. He has been drinking 1/2 gallon+ of chocolate milk every day for a month, plus I have really improved his lunches he eats during school. To be honest I was a little surprised the difference this made even with being told this over and over again!

One additional observation. We only made one work out (Monday, missed Wed. and Friday) over Christmas Break for various reasons. He came back stronger the next week and did not seem to skip a beat. It seemed like the break was good for him. It was the only misses since we started in September.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast