starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Taught a 64-yo Woman to Squat, Deadlift and Press Today

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    spar, my theory is that people take their movement patterns from everyday life into the gym. Most people spend most of their day seated. That is, they spend all day with their hips flexed, and when they need to bend over to pick something up, with hips already flexed they have no choice but to flex their spines, ie bend their lower back.

Come into the gym, and what do we find, when they deadlift they avoid flexing their hips and just bend their lower backs.

Because my gym lacks bumper plates, and 60kg is more than most people can start with, I've had to start people in the rack - the bar sits just below their knees, about 5" above where it'd be normally. Most people can start with 40kg, I have them work up to 70-75kg in the rack, and then they can do 60kg from the floor; the 5" extra range of motion seems to be equivalent to 10-15kg of weight.

Perhaps it's the shorter range of motion being not so demanding on their bodily awareness, perhaps it's giving them time to improve joint mobility, etc - I don't know really - but I've found greater success in beginning with rack pulls and working up to deadlifts than when I was in a gym with bumper plates and we just went straight to deadlifts.

Because I often see restrictions in dorsiflexion, lots of knee issues and so on, I've actually been able to get more people doing deadlifts than I've been able to get doing squats.

Just my experience, for what it's worth.

Sully, that is fantastic. Fan-fricking-tastic. You and Gillian should team up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    It's a great feeling, isn't it?
    It really is.

Wonderful story.

Thanks, all.

This morning she squatted 50 lbs, benched 50, and pulled 115. She's on her way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    spar, my theory is that people take their movement patterns from everyday life into the gym.
    [...]
    Because I often see restrictions in dorsiflexion, lots of knee issues and so on, I've actually been able to get more people doing deadlifts than I've been able to get doing squats.

Just my experience, for what it's worth.
    Unless someone has bony changes to the ankle from some kind of trauma, I don't see cases of restrictions with dorsiflexion affecting the squat. Same with knee issues--unless there is something structurally wrong there that needs time to heal, I don't normally get problems other than needing to be conservative with the weight. Whereas I see a general lack of awareness of what is going on in the back all the time.

But your theory might still hold true, in that maybe the population I work with (people in NYC) have fewer problems with these things because they may be walking/taking stairs more than the average person the U.S. or Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Thanks, all.

This morning she squatted 50 lbs, benched 50, and pulled 115. She's on her way.
    Terrific. You essentially handed someone back the keys to her own body.

Have her start a log on this forum. That would be fantastic!

Finally caught up here. Nice work, sir. I often dream of being able to help older people as well (watching my mother's decline has been wrenching) so this is very motivating.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow! congratulations and well done.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast