starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Taught a 64-yo Woman to Squat, Deadlift and Press Today

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm going to send this to my mom.

I sent this to my mom, we;ll see what she says.

Fantastic! It's wonderful hearing how a de-trained, older woman has found out how beneficial barbell training really is. Great job.

Just curious, did you take one of the SS coaching seminars and teach her using what you learned there?

I have seen many trainers having geezers doing physical therapy type exercises -- not that there's anything wrong with that BUT you would expect to see at least a handful of people branching out to squats, bench, deads, etc. after a while. Especially detrained older women who don't walk into the gym with orthopedic issues stemming from testosterone-fueled stupidity in their youth.

Very cool what you are doing!

Sully, an article over on Gentilicore's blog, "Just because a doctor said it doesn't mean it's true made me think of some of your actions and comments. The contributor (who is about to graduate medical school) writes,

If I had to sum up my experience at medical school in one sentence, I’d do so like this: I have learned about disease, but I haven’t learned about health.

Would you say that's right?

Okay, let's try it this way (Dot defender keeps blocking my replies).

DeeLee: Yup, I got my SS coaching cert last year. Learning how to coach the lifts from Rip, Matt and Stef was crucial. It's paying off now.

Kyle: Yep, she's pretty much nailed it. We're completely missing the point.

Oh, and by the way, guys: she's already learning to clean. She went from Shit-Sandwich to Not-Half-Bad in two workouts. Low weight, of course.

Other potential elderly clients familiar with this case have already started making inquiries. This has the potential to complicate / alter my life considerably. I may have really Stepped In It.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    This has the potential to complicate / alter my life considerably. I may have really Stepped In It.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Nice work doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Other potential elderly clients familiar with this case have already started making inquiries. This has the potential to complicate / alter my life considerably. I may have really Stepped In It.
    Or you may have just stepped into a steaming pile of Awesome! Maybe you could keep track of results and write an article.

This is one of my favorite threads. I look forward to the updates of your trainee's progress on the Big Medicine Program, Sully.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep us updated! I'll throw in a pretty please for some case studies. Over the next few years I'm hoping to do a FdSc, get my PT cert and become an SS coach. Older people are definitely one of the groups I want to work with.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast