starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice from some peeps, got some demoralising news...

Default Need advice from some peeps, got some demoralising news...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Before you guys start reading, the thread is quite long but needs to be read fully to understand my quirery

Had a proper functional assessment today by a top guy is his profession, he is actually going to America soon to work with NFL players...

Anyway as i knew before my glutes are not firing properly, specifically my left glute. This in turn is causing my knee pain and other issues, peeps who understand the complexities of bio-mechanics should know that everything is related and if you have one problem one one side of your body it is going to affect the other side in some way sooner or later...

As a result of my glute imbalances i have been squatting outside of shoulder width with toes pointing out 30 degrees or so with my shoes on in order to get just below parallel. However, it turns out my glute activates better when i squat with my shoes off but at the same time i have to bring my feet when squatting shoulder width or hip width to force my glute and especially my left glute to actually work.

And as a result of not squatting with trainers and a much closer stance the weight i was currently on if to heavy for me. The other negative factor is because my stance in closer I am struggling to get parallel and the only way to correct that is to keep on practicing that way until i can get parallel.This is going to take time and if i keep on squatting the way is was before then i am going to end up with back/shoulder etc issues as the weight get heavier, essentially I am an injury weighting to happen

so my issue is whats the fucking point of carrying on with the program if I am not making any strength gains on my squat. Sure i can make strength gains on other lifts but I am already in my between 22% and 25% body-fat range so whats the point of getting overly fatter and stronger on all my other lifts when my squat will not fucking budge...

The way i see it is my main option is to start loosing weight get down to 17-18% body-fat, learn how to squat parallel shoulder width toes pointed out only slightly and start the whole fucking program again, the sad part is i have only been on the program for 6 and a half weeks...

i know its a long arse thread, but to anyone that read through all of it, its appreciated
    Last edited by deadliftman; 05-02-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadliftman View Post
    the sad part is i have only been on the program for 6 and a half weeks...
    The sad part is this entire post.

Do explain?

Quote Originally Posted by deadliftman View Post
    Do explain?
    The entire post made me feel sad.

Tell this to Rip.

I also am not yet or will never be a believer of muscles "not firing properly".

My understanding is, you can call it whatever the hell you want but I just want to call it a weakness. And a way to correct a weakness, especially the glutes, is to squat heavy.

What I do believe in though, is having better mobility. Google mobilitywod.

Who told you that your left glute "is not firing properly"?

so my issue is whats the fucking point of carrying on with the program if I am not making any strength gains on my squat.
    Go nuts, stop squatting. You'll surely be strong in no time doing that.

I read through all this to see if it contained more information than what you presented when you asked Rip the same question (it didn't).

My advice is to buy the book (and the DVDs if you're serious) and do the lifts the way the book says to instead of how you have been. Also, get weightlifting shoes. These issues might go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    The entire post made me feel sad.
    Sarcastic lol?

Some people do have muscle activation problems especially if they've been sedentary. Go on line, find some glute activation excersizes and do them while doing the program.

Squat with a proper stance and take care to go up and down evenly.

starting strength coach development program
    What was the demoralising news you got?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast