starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calorie deficit and starting strength progression

Default calorie deficit and starting strength progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hello ive done starting strength for teh better part of 2 years now. as i look to lose some body fat and do some body recomp i was wondering...

if i am carb cycling and eating in a deficit how will this effect my lifts? will it mean i will stall sooner or will not be able to progress past a serten point? if it matters i will be eating 50% of my daily calories post work out.

any opinions or info on teh subject would be great. Thanks.

Er... no offense but if you've done starting strength for 2 years your lifts have already stalled...

It might help to start by giving people your bodyweight, height, age and your most recent 3x5 weights for each lift.

Of course they have stalled, that's a given but that is with eating at a calorie surplus to help teh CNS recover and even after the stalls you progress through the old stall.

but eating 900 calories under your tdee and carb cycling im curious if i can still progress through stalls , if its recommended or not so much but.

Mainly what effect eating under maintenance calories does while using the starting strength program.

Uhhh... OP dude...

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    It might help to start by giving people your bodyweight, height, age and your most recent 3x5 weights for each lift.
    And also some context about your programming etc. His point is that you can't actually DO SS for 2 years... unless you're some sort of genetic freak who is now squatting 600lbs

I have lost 100 pounds in the past 8 months doing SS (squat bench dead clean press curl, basic 3x5 set/rep scheme only: no cardio/conditioning). My diet has been a low carb high fat diet that, while there was no couting calories Im sure I created a caloric deficit.

Basically, in 8 months while losing 100 pounds my squat and deadlift have gone up by about 20%, whereas bench press and clean have gone up by about ten percent.

Getting stronger while losing weight and operating at a caloric deficit is VERY tough. I add weight every 2-3 weeks and I microload all my lifts w 1.25# plates. Very slow going. Frankly, I wish Rip would address the programming needs of people who cannot eat enought to do the program, but would still like to progress.

Frankly, I wish Rip would address the programming needs of people who cannot eat enought to do the program, but would still like to progress.
    That's unlikely to happen since wor Mark seemingly cares about strength, and not 'losing weight'.

He'd probably tell you to pipe down and drink your milk.
    Last edited by Harry Flashman; 07-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.

I'm contacting Rip to see if he'd be interested in me penning an article about strength training whilst recomping/altering nutrition. I have lots of experience in this field and it can be done. In my own experience, I've gone from 220+ at 15%BF to 181 and 5% BF with lifts of 440/325/540 officially. I'm also 5'10 so I'm not a super short dude either. You just have to be diligent on your nutrition and training and cool things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    I'm contacting Rip to see if he'd be interested in me penning an article about strength training whilst recomping/altering nutrition. I have lots of experience in this field and it can be done. In my own experience, I've gone from 220+ at 15%BF to 181 and 5% BF with lifts of 440/325/540 officially. I'm also 5'10 so I'm not a super short dude either. You just have to be diligent on your nutrition and training and cool things can happen.
    I think everyone would be interested in reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    Not really about this thread, but are you sure about those bf% numbers? 181 @5% is plausible though at an FFMI of 24.7 it would be near lifetime best for a relatively gifted natural body builder and you'd look impressive to say the least.

220 @15% would be an LBM of 187lbs for an FFMI of 26.8 which is pushing over the 25 line so less likely.

starting strength coach development program
    Not at all sure about the bodyfat numbers, as the BodPod and hydrostatic weighing have both continually failed to provide accurate information. On the same day the BodPod told me I was 6.8% it also told me I was 13%...lol. Dexa told me I was 11 and change when I weighed ~205, but my abs, legs, and low back were nowhere near as "conditioned"

I'd freely admit that I'm anywhere between 5-10% right now and honestly I just go off of how I look. The thing is every test has given me a different answer and so I start to kind of generalize body fat percentages based on others. For instance, at 15% the upper abs should probably be visible, at 10% all the abs should be in, at 5% there should be vascularity in the abdominals, striations in the low back and legs, etc. I don't really know of a better way to gauge this unfortunately.

So one of my coaches, a pro natty BB'er and powerlifter, does my nutrition because I'm a headcase with myself. I have to send him pics every week. He said when I started I was somewhere between 10-12%, about 12-16 weeks out from a BB show-in case I was curious. After 10 weeks so far, starting out at ~190 with fully visible abs, striations in shoulders/chest, separation of quads and hamstrings (partially), I'm now hovering between 179-181. I have veins in my abs/quads/calves/etc all the time, striations in my quads/delts/ and sometimes triceps although I'm pale as hell.My back is crazy striated and separated as well. I'll consider posting some pics to verify this although that might be a little, ahem, gay. My coach tells me I'd need another 3-4 weeks to be stage ready and make a run at taking home some hardware, but I just am prepping for Raw Nationals (powerlifting). At 220-230 I had all my upper abs in, but my legs, low back, etc were much softer. I've definitely lost some muscle over the years and put some back on in different places. Overall, I'm a blocky looking dude with big legs and back, arms are so-so, and my waist is thick unfortunately. Everyone tells me I'm jacked and shredded, and there's no way I can only be 180lbs- so maybe you're onto something. I've had horrible genetics my whole life and getting this lean has taken more effort than I would ever advise anybody else to do, unless they're crazy like me.

For a BB show, I'd probably get to 176ish, then I'd have to play around with carb/salt/potassium to fill/dry out to take it to the next level. The problem is, being 5'10" would make me a relatively small 180 compared to the other natty dudes who come in about 10-15lbs heavier at my height or shorter. Also, I'd need a smaller waist lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast