starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another new guy, happy to be here

Default Another new guy, happy to be here

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I see that I joined this site back in 2011, but I have just now read Mark’s books and have been reading posts here. And how could I not join a forum with a tagline of “Get off my lawn?”

I am 55, 5’10” and 195. I started lifting weights in 1974 and it has been on and off since then. I still have some of the blue plastic weights my dad got us from the EJ Korvettes store in about 1966. It occurs to me that weight training is something I have always enjoyed and that I always do come back to it after trying other things (soccer, distance running, basketball, Jiu Jitsu, racquetball).

I am six weeks into a (mostly) one lift a day routine – it fits work and life schedules. I tried 5-3-1 back in 2011 with a goal of benching 300 for the first time, but only got to 280 before injuring a shoulder doing weighted dips. This time I am committed to mastering good form and being patient, starting with lighter weights so I can learn what good form feels like, especially for the squat. The resources and your comments here help a lot.

My last week’s workout is as follows: a good number of ramp up sets to 3 work sets of 5

Sunday off
    Monday, High Bar Squat (shoulder injuries prevent low bar) 3x5 110lbs
    Tuesday, Bench 3x5 165lbs
    Wednesday off
    Thursday, Seated OHP (low ceiling) 3x5 125lbs, chin-ups (5x3)
    Friday off
    Saturday, RDL 3x5 205lbs

I haven’t set any goals yet, just enjoying being mostly injury free and still in this game. I tend to do better with deadlift (did 20 rest/pause reps at 300 about 10 years ago) and bench, OHP so-so and not well with squats. I think I can add 10 pounds a week to squat for a quite a while, Lord willing.

There are tremendous accomplishments on this forum, very humbling to see. Glad to be part of it.

Welcome, and I find it interesting that despite our nearly 10 year gap (I'm 64) in age we went through a lot of the same activities. Soccer being a notable exception. You're on the right track, start low and go slow and build up.

Jeez, every time you turn around there's another new old fart pushing their walker down the side walk. Heh.

Kidding. Seriously, it's good to have you here. Man, that Korvette's reference goes waaaay back. I can say that I actually stepped foot in Korvette's as a little guy.

Welcome aboard. As somebody just said, Mo Geezer=Mo Better.

Be sure to set up a log. You'll be glad you did.

Good to have more geezers here!

Welcome! Good luck and enjoy the struggle. Where in Illinois are you?

Quote Originally Posted by keeptryn View Post
    thanks everyone for the welcome....

my log is lou's log....its in the competition area...I regret putting it there...but since I compete thought it made sense at the time....

Welcome, and I find it interesting that despite our nearly 10 year gap (I'm 64) in age we went through a lot of the same activities. Soccer being a notable exception. You're on the right track, start low and go slow and build up
    I did three years of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with my younger son, figuring initially that he was too young to drive there and I might as well try it. It was very hard sparring with the amped up 20 - 35 year olds at age 50. I eventually tried boxing classes at the same gym, and ended up with a concussion/subdural hematoma that required a craniotomy, and I promised my wife that this ended my dabbling in combat sports. I recovered completely and it's a blessing to still be here.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    Jeez, every time you turn around there's another new old fart pushing their walker down the side walk. Heh.

Kidding. Seriously, it's good to have you here. Man, that Korvette's reference goes waaaay back. I can say that I actually stepped foot in Korvette's as a little guy.
    Our store in North Riverside, IL had a couple of large snakes in their pet department - boa constrictor and python. My brother and I would stare at that while mom shopped.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptryn View Post
    Naperville. I went to high school by you in Palos Hills, at Stagg class of '77.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast