starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good to be here

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Maybe you could keep your total amount of body fat the same for a while? Until you've put on a bit of muscle? Then it'll be easier to lose later as muscle requires more calories to maintain.
    At 69 (almost) with a bad back and a repaired knee, Skel, I'm not likely to build an enormous amount of muscle going forward, especially since my PRs are already pretty good for a guy my age. I'll be trying to push them up, but I really don't think bulging muscles are on any future menu for me.

My body is quite acclimated to low-carb, by the way. Been doing it off and on for almost fifty years - mostly on for the past twenty.

I eat protein before a workout. I don't get tired. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Quick View Post
    At 69 (almost) with a bad back and a repaired knee, Skel, I'm not likely to build an enormous amount of muscle going forward, especially since my
    Sorry, Bill. I meant the OP. Should have quoted. Doh!
    Last edited by Skel; 03-28-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Gotcha. Still, it would be nice to turn into some kind of 70-ish Arnold. Just don't think it's very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Quick View Post
    Gotcha. Still, it would be nice to turn into some kind of 70-ish Arnold. Just don't think it's very likely.
    This guy's having a go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21151163

However... the strapline 'Dr Jeffry Life shows Peter Bowes his fitness regime' right under a vial of testosterone cypionate made me laugh.

Well, yes doctor. Lots of us would probably try that but we don't want our prostates to swell up like balloons and our blood to turn to molasses in our hearts.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I really appreciate it. This is new to me, so I value all the input I can get.

I am trying to balance strength gain and bodyfat loss, and guess I have to do some trying and failing, to find out what works best.

I'm still lifting light weights, 135lbs squat and deadlift, not enough I guess to burn a lot of calories. So I can probably eat a calorie deficit for a little while and still progress on the lifts. But at some point I will stall, and then I have to increase the calories to continue the progress.

I told my folks about the training I'm doing, and they asked for a demonstration, which I happily gave them. I think they are planning to start lifting too. And they are both 79yo. It's never too late

Krsand,

As a fellow newbie, I'd recommend you video your work sets and submit for form checks. See the Technique forum. In my case I was surprised to learn that I needed significant corrections.

Have fun.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sfischer View Post
    Krsand,

As a fellow newbie, I'd recommend you video your work sets and submit for form checks. See the Technique forum. In my case I was surprised to learn that I needed significant corrections.

Have fun.

Steve
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do that. I think I have good form, but I might be wrong.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Krsand View Post
    Seems like a good rule of thumb. I don't want to be to hung up in counting every calorie, but I like the simplicity of the app and your suggestion here. I think this will work for me too.
    I've just been reading some of your past posts. I started SS with Dr. Jonathon Sullivan (Sully) in Feb. 2016. He has me eat 150 grams of protein a day. I'm 75 yrs. old and basically just count my protein. I don't concern myself with body fat as it seems to decrease as I increase in muscle and strength. I do use an app to track the protein (Lose-it) just to stay on course. Keep up the good work. Have a safe and happy New Year!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123