starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What can you do now that you could not do before you began SS?

Default What can you do now that you could not do before you began SS?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    @52 lift the heavy stuff that the 18-30+ at work can't...

Press 115, bench 170, squat 225, deadlift 240....

I'm just happy to still be doing the same stuff I've always done. It had been getting harder. Now it's easy again!

I went to the shooting range yesterday and shot better than ever. I even hit dead center 6 out of 7 rounds shooting left-handed only. (I am right-hand dominent)

I showed my target to my primary handgun instructor and asked him why he thought I was shooting so much better, even at rapid fire. He asked me if I was doing something for my grip strength. I answered, "barbell squats and deadlifts?", and he said, "that's it".

Jim

At 150lbs I was cold all the time, and I'd get lightheaded when standing quickly after sitting or after donating blood. I actually passed out power-cleaning 85 lbs, back when I started SS at age 45.

At 185, I'm warm, and I don't get low-blood-pressure symptoms anymore (nor high -- 112/74).

And I can carry a 7yo kid on my shoulders a long time now.

Carrying a child on ones shoulders is one of the joys of life. At 68 I can still carry my grandsons. it's tiring but so much fun.

Pick up my oldest kid and press him overhead or just hold him up there awhile balanced on my palms.

A much less exciting version of Milo's cow, working up to being able to press the wife but if I use the Milo analogy I might be in trouble

'Fly' a fire truck to a working house fire. Park, shift to pump, pull 'tank to pump valve' establish pressure, go to preset, pull the attack line, pressurize it and have it ready for the attack team, establish tanker supply all before the attack Captain has masked up and is ready to go in with the crew. Had my shit wired tight that day, and strength training made the difference.

I played golf for the first time in a few years and kept up good form throughout the round. Had no aches or pains the next day either which would be typical for me not having swung a golf club for so long.

starting strength coach development program
    I can do 2 chins, almost at 3. Never in my entire life been able to do a clean chin. Stronger in press,squat and DL than I've ever been. Lower back pain almost non-existent. I can catch something that ordinarily would've hit the ground and I'm not sure how/why but the eye/hand coordination is noticeably improved. I can look in the mirror without a shirt on and not feel like shit about myself.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast