starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Page 233 PPST3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks to all you guys for the replies. I guess I will stick with the one lift a day program,something along the lines of what Mark and Biil posted. I may change some of the accessory lifts as needed and play around with the progression system, and stretch out the days between workouts to make it more along the lines of Marks sample,as I work out out home and the days of the week I WO are not set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Thanks to all you guys for the replies. I guess I will stick with the one lift a day program,something along the lines of what Mark and Biil posted. I may change some of the accessory lifts as needed and play around with the progression system, and stretch out the days between workouts to make it more along the lines of Marks sample,as I work out out home and the days of the week I WO are not set in stone.
    Never stop experimenting...

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Anyone tried using the post program on page 223 ? I have been doing a sort of linear progression work schedule focussing on the four lifts. I have either WO two days a week doing sqt and bench one day two days later press and DL. I usually threw in one other lift on each day, curls, pull down, rows, tricep push downs. I tried sets across, ascending, desending,531, back off,etc. I have made some progress but feel it,is,going slow. I am 65 5'10" ( used to be 5'11") weight around 210. I anyone cares to look I have a log under the name PapaJerry. Been taking creating,BCAA,beta alaline and whey protein. Only thing lacking is 8 hours sleep.for some reason most nights I only get six solid hours.i have been looking at that page for a while and at times thought it was to short of a program,but maybe the extra things I have been doing are what's holding me back on the main lifts. I deadlifted today,it went ok. I think I will start using the program as written using the progression schedule on the page.i have to accept the fact that I am sixty five and don't recover like I used too.
    I did the p233 post-novice old guy program as written. Started January 2014 and just switched to the Kingwood Texas Method (2x week, ID/LD/VD/LD rotation) in May as part of Andy's summer custom program special. I'm your size, but 50, so YMMV.

The p233 program worked well - 5RM progress over a short year and a half with a normal family guy number of missed workouts was - squat 280-350, bench 245-280, dead 330-385 and press 150-175. I did a PL meet 7 months in and totaled 1045 (220 class).

Well I do feel recovery time has changed from the time I was 50 and now at 65. This weekend I attempted to bench and it was a wash out. Had some shoulder pain last week after benching. It went away after two days. I had no problem with presses during the week. But now it hard to raise my right arm overhead. Going to try and see an ART dr this week.

I might give that a try. I lost some time and gains after a swollen elbow from heavy hammer curls followed by crashing my mountain bike and cracking a couple bones. I'm 59, and doing two 'rest' days in between lift days. On those 'rest' days I'm doing interval runs and supplementary lifts with the cable machine. I'm looking after a rebuilt heart so the cardio isn't something I can drop. I dropped power cleans some time ago as advised. Making slow progress particularly on bench.

I went for the ART treatment on Monday and if sure seemed to help. I can raise my arm although I feel a little weakness . I am going back today for another session. The dr is a lifter, he told me to hold of on pressing fo a while .i will start doing some light lateral raises and rotator cuff exercises being sure to do them after a hot shower. I guess I have gotten lazy in doing things like this before pressing.

I lift twice a week. I've eliminated Bench Press due to ongoing shoulder problems, but I double up on OHPresses because I want shoulder size and can do them without pain. Here's my current routine, in ascending sets unless otherwise noted, with (5RM) shown beside each exercise:

Monday
    Squat (235)
    Press (125)
    Weighted Pullup (20)
    Curls (40)

Thursday or Friday
    Squat (235)
    Press (volume day)
    Deadlift (265)
    Curls (40)

The second day after lifting I am doing HIIT with either a recumbent bike (5 bouts of 30 sec. on 60 off) or Waterrower (5 bouts of 20 reps, 40 sec. rest)

I'm trying to add strength while staying reasonably lean, and I want some show on my shoulders and arms.

posted to wrong thread
    Last edited by CimmerianInTraining; 09-08-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: replied to wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'm 68. Here's my routine. Mon. Press and DL; Fri. BP and Squat and if time allows Pull Ups. I walk a bit in between. I'm always tempted to do more cardio but the lifts are about right. I think I'll get some kettlebells for cardio. I'm advancing very slowly but at least I'm not stuck for any extended period of time. I think I could do more but I behave myself more or less.
    Hey, Carson. Why don't you do pull-ups on press day? I find that the bench press severely interferes with chin-ups. And as long as I'm asking intrusive questions, are you really doing pull-ups instead of Chin-ups? Why?

starting strength coach development program
    Last edited by MashedTaters; 09-18-2015 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added another link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12