starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Page 233 PPST3

Default Page 233 PPST3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone tried using the post program on page 223 ? I have been doing a sort of linear progression work schedule focussing on the four lifts. I have either WO two days a week doing sqt and bench one day two days later press and DL. I usually threw in one other lift on each day, curls, pull down, rows, tricep push downs. I tried sets across, ascending, desending,531, back off,etc. I have made some progress but feel it,is,going slow. I am 65 5'10" ( used to be 5'11") weight around 210. I anyone cares to look I have a log under the name PapaJerry. Been taking creating,BCAA,beta alaline and whey protein. Only thing lacking is 8 hours sleep.for some reason most nights I only get six solid hours.i have been looking at that page for a while and at times thought it was to short of a program,but maybe the extra things I have been doing are what's holding me back on the main lifts. I deadlifted today,it went ok. I think I will start using the program as written using the progression schedule on the page.i have to accept the fact that I am sixty five and don't recover like I used too.

I don't have the book in front of me just now so I can't speak intelligently to the program. But I recommend you squat one week and deadlift the next week to assure your recovery. With assistance lifts mixed to suit your goals. Both of those take a lot out of you in the key areas of quads and the lower back. I've read that the erector spinae take longer to recover than most other muscles, so that may be your ticket to sustaining progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I don't have the book in front of me just now so I can't speak intelligently to the program. But I recommend you squat one week and deadlift the next week to assure your recovery. With assistance lifts mixed to suit your goals. Both of those take a lot out of you in the key areas of quads and the lower back. I've read that the erector spinae take longer to recover than most other muscles, so that may be your ticket to sustaining progress.
    I am moving back up the chain of the novice program after having been hurt for a while. I have wondered about the squat one week and deadlift the next but it seemed that wouldn't be enough. I'm 57 have others my age gone to the one main lift a week and seen progress? Perhaps this would help limit injuries as well.

LIFT-RUN-BANG: Every Other Week Squatting and Deadlifting - By JPS
    Hi Mark, the above link is an article, I had saved a while ago. It seems like it suggests something similar to,what you have suggested.if you read the page 233 in the book you will see it has you sqt twice a week,although lighter and DL once a week. I am not sure if I tried the sqt and DL every other week that I would do upper body the next day,although at times I do feel like pressing or benching the day after working the lower body.

Guys, all I can say is that my own 5-3-1 program is modeled after what Wendler recommends not only for older competitive powerlifters, but one that he felt served him best when he competed as a young guy.

Week 1
    Sunday: Bench press and barbell row.

Wednesday: Deadlift and DB hammer curls.

Week 2
    Sunday: OHP and power clean.

Wednesday: Squat, DB hammer curls, and LTE's.

I try to get as much of a "full body" session as possible with my main and assistance lifts. It also allows for a lighter pull session that also engages the quads a little to keep them in the mix with the power cleans.

You guys may not be interested in competing, but this kind of routine does offer a lot of recovery. Which given the MA I do twice a week, is pretty important for me. I also append my cardio to my lifting to allow for maximum "down time" recovery. Pounding my body with the iron and getting it pounded by others for a total of 4 times a week, this shit accumulates on you.

I added about 60 lbs to my total (359/259/434 this year doing this:
    Weeks 1-3: Novice Style programming
    Week 4: light week, whatever it takes to optimize recovery
    Weeks 5-6: alternating volume and intensity, squat 2x per week, Deadlift on Monday of the first week and Friday of the next week.
    Week 7: light week
    Week 8: max testing and whatever else you feel like
    Week 9: light week

Repeat and add weight from where you started last time. Drink 10 grams of bcaa's before and after workouts, even light one's.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 07-24-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Looked like 359 million, 259 thousand, 434 lbs which some might not believe.

I'm 68. Here's my routine. Mon. Press and DL; Fri. BP and Squat and if time allows Pull Ups. I walk a bit in between. I'm always tempted to do more cardio but the lifts are about right. I think I'll get some kettlebells for cardio. I'm advancing very slowly but at least I'm not stuck for any extended period of time. I think I could do more but I behave myself more or less.

I've been doing one of four lifts a day on a weekly basis: Monday, Presses. Tuesday, Deadlifts. Wednesday, Benches. Thursday, Squats. I've been doing this since March 2nd of this year, when I started back on a serious program after my knee operation.

Results were slow but steady as I first reached my previous highs and then, over the past month, have hit new set PRs and new 1RMs almost on a weekly basis. Iceberg's SS Training Log

So far, I am very pleased with this plan. It suits me well at my age of 69.

Current 1RMs:

Press: 115
    Deadlift: 260 (set last week)
    Bench: 180 (set this week)
    Squat: 230
    Last edited by Bill Quick; 07-24-2015 at 06:30 PM.

I've been following that program, sorta. For what it's worth...

Squats: I love ascending 5s, although my light day is something like 80%x3x2. I think ascending 4x5 was too much. That said, I'm beginning to feel a stall coming. After my heavy day last Monday, I saw Jesus coming for me.

Press: I don't bench, so I press heavy, press light, and have stalled at 110, notwithstanding that I got 115x5 a couple months ago. Go figure. I'm going to try pressing heavy once a week for a few weeks to see if I can get moving again.

Deads: I've been dead-ing heavy once a week since the get-go. Now, I'm doing ascending 4x5. Don't ask me why. I just like Starr's concept of ascending 5s, a little more volume than 1x5, I dunno.

Chins: 3 x failure.

That said, for you guys who squat/dead once a week (Carson?), or every other week (Mark?), I assume you're able to continue gaining weight? Also, what is your set/rep scheme? Sets across 3x5 or 5x5? Ascending 5s? Ascending 5s with an extra work set or back off?

Great thread.

starting strength coach development program
    I do like doing the ascending sets as described on page 233. I usually hang one back-off set on the end there too, because I'm stubborn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast