starting strength gym

Thread: Equipment Reviews? Weight Plates

Default Equipment Reviews? Weight Plates

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Two questions:

Is there a forum here where people can get reviews of strength training equipments? I couldn't find one.

Second: I am looking at getting my home garage gym set up and I need to spend a bunch of reward points. I think I'm going to get Ripp's cage along with a bar and bench from Rouge Fitness (cash on those) but was thinking of spending points on weight plates. I can get a gift card to Sports Authority and a few other places. At Sports Authority they sell Steelbody, Cap and Rage plates. Any thoughts on those manufacturers quality?

Thanks for any help.

Cody, who posts elsewhere on the Forum, has proven a good source of such information.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Second: I am looking at getting my home garage gym set up and I need to spend a bunch of reward points. I think I'm going to get Ripp's cage along with a bar and bench from Rouge Fitness (cash on those) but was thinking of spending points on weight plates.
    I think you'd be much better off buying the Titan HD rack. Here's a thread with links to more threads on the rack.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ower-rack.html

Apart from bumpers, most people try to find metal plates on Craigslist. I have a bunch of Sport Authority metal plates. They aren't that inaccurate. Some people around here have those over priced Rage bumpers.

The Muscle Driver HDs are cheaper and better. But you can't use points.

I have the Rogue Utility 2.0 bench. A lot of people like it. But there are probably better deals out there.

Everyone will suggest the Rogue Ohio Power bar. It's 250 bare steel + shipping.

I have the normal Ohio Bar. If you want a cheaper starter bar, the standard recommendation is the CAP ob-86B from Amazon. It's selling for about 137 shipped right now. You can get it for 127 if you wait and watch.

Thanks everybody I'll check into this!

I've got the garage reorganized and ready to order weights, rack, bench and bar. One question, has anyone here had the need yet for fractional weight plates? So far I've been able to go up in 5lbs increments but at some point that will probably stop. Where in the progression order does one generally need lighter plates than 2.5lbs? Is that more at the end of the intermediate phase?

I've got the garage reorganized and ready to order weights, rack, bench and bar. One question, has anyone here had the need yet for fractional weight plates? So far I've been able to go up in 5lbs increments but at some point that will probably stop. Where in the progression order does one generally need lighter plates than 2.5lbs? Is that more at the end of the intermediate phase?
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...croplates.html

No, my understanding is that you can microload as a way to extend the novice progression as long a possible, press and bench will be the first to require it. My general formula gleaned from SS and the boards is when you fail a weight, attempt it again when it's time for that lift, if you still fail, reset 10-15%, if you still fail once you get back to that weight, reset and microload. If you still fail, assuming sleep and food are ok, you may be done with novice progression...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    No, my understanding is that you can microload as a way to extend the novice progression as long a possible, press and bench will be the first to require it. My general formula gleaned from SS and the boards is when you fail a weight, attempt it again when it's time for that lift, if you still fail, reset 10-15%, if you still fail once you get back to that weight, reset and microload. If you still fail, assuming sleep and food are ok, you may be done with novice progression...
    Thank you so much for this! That was a eloquent explanation of what I've been trying to understand for a while now. Thanks you!