starting strength gym

Thread: Who's on a 2 week cycle?

Default Who's on a 2 week cycle?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Specifically, for squats and deads?

I've been on the PPST3 old guy intermediate since April and have decided that even increasing by 1 rep a week, and adding weight every 3 to 4 weeks, has gotten to be too much. I've been stuck on my squats and deads (+/- 10# or so) for a good part of the summer. I've reset, taken breaks, etc.

So, methinks something like the following might be my next move:

Week 1
    A: Heavy squat, light deadlift (maybe SLDL?)
    B: Light squat

Week 2
    A: Intensity squat, heavy deadlift

I believe Andy calls this the "Kingwood TM" and it'll be in "The Book."

Anyone else moved to a 2 week cycle where you squat/dead heavy only once a fortnight?

Thanks.

I am, although it's Wendler's 5-3-1 twice a week routine. It seems to be working pretty well. Lots of time for recovery of the old lower back.

I did a version of this as a 12 week meet prep. Over the 12 weeks I reduced reps on volume day/week from 6 to 3, and that allowed 5 lb increases each volume and intensity day. It worked well, and intensity day was easier than I expected.

[QUOTE=MashedTaters;1167167]Specifically, for squats and deads?

I've been on the PPST3 old guy intermediate since April and have decided that even increasing by 1 rep a week, and adding weight every 3 to 4 weeks, has gotten to be too much. I've been stuck on my squats and deads (+/- 10# or so) for a good part of the summer. I've reset, taken breaks, etc.

I had posted this link in another thread,LIFT-RUN-BANG: Every Other Week Squatting and Deadlifting - By JPS It recommends squatting and DL every other week, and MEH replied that he does something similar. I have not tried it yet . I have never squatted or DL more then once a week. Most times I have squatted on day one and DL day two. Have at times Sqt and DL one the same day and wait a week before repeating.
    I am considering trying what MEH is doing. I haven't made much progress in a while as far as lifting more weight goes,I wonder if it is because I'm doing to much or not enough.

[QUOTE=MashedTaters;1167167]Specifically, for squats and deads?

So, methinks something like the following might be my next move:

Week 1
    A: Heavy squat, light deadlift (maybe SLDL?)

Week 2
    A: Intensity squat, heavy deadlift

I believe Andy calls this the "Kingwood TM" and it'll be in "The Book."

Anyone else moved to a 2 week cycle where you squat/dead heavy only once a fortnight?

For week 2 don't you mean volume squat instead of intensity?

Thanks for the input, guys. Thanks for the link, B. Jerry; and S. Dave, yeah, it should be volume, light, intensity, light, over a 2 week period.

starting strength coach development program
    Two week cycle? Never the wife or daughters thank god.