starting strength gym
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Steel Videos

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I'm only 44 (son 5 and daughter 8), but these stuff has filled my thoughts a few more nights as of late than I'd care to admit. This also coincides with my propensity to deconstruct and rebuild my worldview from scratch every few years, which can be quite a bit scarier than death.....depending on one's views of death and how little you've accomplished thus far.

Well...as Andy Dufresne said "Get Busy Lifting or Get Busy Dying."........or something like that.
    We both started late on the family thing. DB and I had only the one (OD) and she was 5 when I hit age 45 some 21 years ago now. I have had to remake myself something like four, maybe five times or more since I struck off on my own. But at age 45 I got really seriously freaked out in the parking lot at where I worked then coming back from an afternoon meeting with a client.

Had I done enough to provide for those I loved and myself? It seemed not at that particular point in time, and the prospect of having failed in that particular responsibility seemed worse than being dead too soon.

As it happened, all turned out well enough. But absent the motivating possibility of not having done enough, or having done the right things, I still wonder if I would have managed to keep up my own end of the task to see a good life through for us all.

So keep alert and aware and know or learn what you have to do for you and yours. Having accomplished that, death is secondary or even tertiary.

double post

Shug wasn't bothering me, but I'm a big douchebag so I had to mess with him.
    Fixed.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 05-09-2017 at 05:41 AM. Reason: * Keep taking those "Baby Steps", Georgie Boy

I am curious, after watching Sully's most recent video, how people view bodybuilders and their subgroups?

They clearly train and work hard, if not obsessively, but their actual competition has zero to do with actual physical performance at the event, aside from maybe their posing performance.

I am curious, after watching Sully's most recent video, how people view bodybuilders and their subgroups?

They clearly train and work hard, if not obsessively, but their actual competition has zero to do with actual physical performance at the event, aside from maybe their posing performance.
    Heh. This is definitely not a can of worms. I'll be interested to hear what people say as well, while I stand over here quietly.

If you accept the definition of athlete as put forth in the video, then yes, bodybuilders are indeed athletes. After all, they seek a prize, albeit one based on subjective and currently fashionable aesthetics, and they train to win that prize.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but I think of the term athlete in the narrower and more traditional definition. I never accepted the expanded one that I first saw verbalized in crossfit some years back when they started calling first responders and military people athletes. Athletes train to compete against others. If I were being entirely honest, I'd have to say that includes martial artists, unless they too compete.

*I* don't want to be a bodybuilder, nor would I encourage my loved ones to dabble in it.
    Measuring your progress via subjective beauty seems like a recipe for constant unhappiness, and risks anorexia-like emotional problems.

But I do respect the work and discipline involved. Also, BBers know a lot about hypertrophy and diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I'm not trying to start a debate, but I think of the term athlete in the narrower and more traditional definition. I never accepted the expanded one that I first saw verbalized in crossfit some years back when they started calling first responders and military people athletes. Athletes train to compete against others. If I were being entirely honest, I'd have to say that includes martial artists, unless they too compete.
    I tend to agree. I may train like an athlete, but I wouldn't call myself an athlete because I do not compete.

It is a good way to develop a sense of community, which is really the strong suit of Crossfit.

I'm competing with my former self, but more importantly I'm competing against a long painful death.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'm competing with my former self, but more importantly I'm competing against a long painful death.
    Like I said, I'm not going to argue about it.

OTOH, I'll point out that the Traditional definition means that an 8-year old at a Little League game is an "athlete," but George, Mark, Rip, you and I are not.

I find that....interesting.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast