starting strength gym
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Steel Videos

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Excellent treatment of a topic that does not get enough attention.
    A good "introduction" to the video series. (aka a good "first share").
    Since hypertension is virtually epidemic, it can start the "barbell conversation".
    Thanks! I'm sending out the link now.

Huge fan. Feel free to block this, my feelings will be fine.

TLDR: Slide #6 describes a cascading failure, perhaps I would lean into this for emphasis. By stressing that the loss of strength and bone density is causal to a chain reaction, is a powerful call to action.

OK THE LONG VERSION

Powerful Points
    - We died differently
    - Weakened by the chronic degenerative diseases.

GREAT ANALOGY
    Prescription: Just take some Medicine
    Just get some Exercise

No it must be specific, formula, administration, and have a therapeutic target. Great stuff! Memorable.

Prescription for the aging adult: Strength training with barbells with a conditioning component... TO PREVENT A CASCADING FAILURE

SICK AGING PHENOTYPE
    People who age poorly.

Slide #6.
    Consider arrows or ("which causes") instead of plus signs since
    Sarcopenia, Osteopenia and Frailty

are causal for
    Metabolic Syndrome:
    Obesity - Truncal / viceral
    Insulin Resistance and Elevated Fasting Blood Glucose

Which causal for:
    Poly-pharmacy & Medical Dependence

I mean try getting to Metabolic Syndrome if you are strong, have dense bones and are not frail. (I realize that my ranting is not exactly science)
    But show me one.... yes there are wasting diseases... but in the absence of those....

So it is with poly-pharmacy / Medical dependence.
    You don't go straight from Sarcopenia, Ostopenia and Frailty to Poly-pharmacy.... Poly-pharmacy come from Insulin Resistance, elevated fasting glucose, Hypertension, Dyslipidenmia etc.

You have outlined a cascading failure. Which tends to be more an IT / modeling term. (often used with power grids)

Cascading failure - Wikipedia

A failure which causes other failures, while the initial failure might not be serious, the consequences can be catastrophic.

Your outline appears to be in the perfect order to use the term Cascading Failure. Also called a vicious circle / vicious cycle. Sometimes called a ripple effect.

Perhaps it even qualifies to be described as a "biochemical cascade". The initial condition "Sarcopenia, Osteopenia and Frailty" have minor consequence, while successive rounds of this cascade become debilitating / life threatening. Especially when cause runs in both directions as you point out.

SUMMARY
    The refinements you've made in this presentation are powerful and effective. Perhaps my background leads me to the "Cascading Failure" construct.

If my comments help great. If not, I am mock-able for any number of good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Huge fan. Feel free to block this, my feelings will be fine.
    Great post. Just FYI, while this sub-forum is "moderated,I don't recall anyone's post here ever being blocked.

The cascading failure analogy is interesting. We actually present the interconnected causality of the SAP and its components in a similar way in the book. BUt it's less like a series of dominoes than a network of pathophysiological process that slowly accentuate and accelerate each ohter.

Once upon a time, on STNG, there was this surgeon who was operating on (I think) Picard, and he was losing him, and he said (typical STNG techno-babble) "I can't stop the heterocyclic declination!"

That's a made-up term (duh)....but also a good descriptor of sick aging.

And no, we don't block people here. BUt there may be one or two people I just ignore.

The non linear nature of the path is more confounding to description / categorization (stuff that happens in books and discussions) than to the actual "nature of the beast".

For example in a electrical grid, given a failure, say a transmission line outage, you would actually be able to determine what the "most at risk component" is, given this recent failure. However, as I'm sure happens in many "real life" situations, something else (considered less at risk) may actually fail and change the direction of the cascade. It is "no less" a cascade, because it took a less probable turn, or even if the next turn was not predicted at all.

So as with health, even if you are reasonably smart and try to get ahead of it, complexity and chance may well conspire to thwart your best efforts. Knowledge being imperfect and reality being more complex than our models can handle with absolute accuracy.

But.... starting your SS program earlier not only improves your "most at risk component" but those other less at risk but could still bite you components.

It is a stabilizing / regenerating influence.

I'm harder to break now. If I fall down now... so what? But a year ago... call 911... or maybe a priest.

It would be great to be able to say "OK sit on that couch 3 more days with a box of Cheesepuffs then in 5 days you'll get X, 22 more days Y, then in 35 more days Z will kill you. But we'd need STNG's time travel ability to know such things. We have to settle for "do SS two days a week and your health outcome probabilities are massively upgraded". This is enough for smart people.... there is just a shortage of "smart people".

Conclusion: Don't die a stupid miserable death, SS is your laminated "get out of jail free" card for the Darwin Awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    The non linear nature of the path is more confounding to description / categorization (stuff that happens in books and discussions) than to the actual "nature of the beast".

For example in a electrical grid, given a failure, say a transmission line outage, you would actually be able to determine what the "most at risk component" is, given this recent failure. However, as I'm sure happens in many "real life" situations, something else (considered less at risk) may actually fail and change the direction of the cascade. It is "no less" a cascade, because it took a less probable turn, or even if the next turn was not predicted at all...

Conclusion: Don't die a stupid miserable death, SS is your laminated "get out of jail free" card for the Darwin Awards.
    "But you could get hit by a bus tomorrow!"

It's a conversation I've had endlessly with people who claim they're fat and healthy. Losing unneeded fat, lifting barbells, and eating better food isn't a guarantee against disease and death, but they do shift the odds quite a bit to lowering the incidence, depth, and changing the outcomes when they do.

That's all "being healthy" is - risk management. If spending a few waking hours a week in the gym lowers risks for disease, disability, and destruction, it's well worth it - and I believe it does.

starting strength coach development program
    You shoulda seen the bus!!!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast