starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Statins

Default Statins

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have type 2 diabetes. I take Metformin and Insulin. I think weight lifting helps to keep them in check. However, I'm on a low dose of statins. I've made the "mistake" of reading a bit on them. Dr. Sullivan in "The Barbell Prescription" cautions that their value is questionable. I also understand that two side effects of statins are really contraindicated for both gaining strength and for diabetes. I've sent a note to my Dr. asking if I should or could drop the statin and what effect dropping might have on my health.

In the meantime I'm wondering if others face or have faced this situation. What were you advised? What did you do? What was the outcome of your decision?

When my doctor suggested it two years ago for a cholesterol level of 200 with a very high HDL, I looked at him like he was crazy. He never brought it up again.

FWIW, I have been prescribed Crestor and taken it for over 5 years now with no adverse affects on my training. At least I haven't noticed any. They also fixed my cholesterol issues.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I have type 2 diabetes. I take Metformin and Insulin. I think weight lifting helps to keep them in check. However, I'm on a low dose of statins. I've made the "mistake" of reading a bit on them. Dr. Sullivan in "The Barbell Prescription" cautions that their value is questionable. I also understand that two side effects of statins are really contraindicated for both gaining strength and for diabetes. I've sent a note to my Dr. asking if I should or could drop the statin and what effect dropping might have on my health.

In the meantime I'm wondering if others face or have faced this situation. What were you advised? What did you do? What was the outcome of your decision?

Great book and speaks to this whole topic.
    Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?: Jimmy Moore, Eric C. Westman: 8601200919288: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for the comments. My Doc is out of town this week. I'll try to reach him next week. Steve, I've put a hold on that book at my library.

I've read that statins actually can have some benefit for strength training. Something about the way it breaks down muscle synergizes with the stress/recovery/adaptation cycle and actually helps you grow, if you're actually training the muscles. I don't know how well studied it is, though.

If you're *not* lifting, that crap will clearly wreck you. If you're taking statins, you should treat strength training as absolutely mandatory.

I've been on 20 mg daily since a heart attack almost three years ago. No side effects, and I've put on a fair amount of muscle over that time. I took up power lifting a few months after the MI to fill my non-optional gym time as part of avoiding that flat-line situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    When my doctor suggested it two years ago for a cholesterol level of 200 with a very high HDL, I looked at him like he was crazy. He never brought it up again.
    The truth is that a cholesterol level of 200 might be "normal" for you. Lot's of people have heart problems who have low cholesterol and the medical community just looks the other way. I have two Doctors in my family and from listening to what they have to say about Statins, there is no way I would ever take the stuff.

In my situation, I lifted heavy, dropped a lot of fat and was able to cut my statin use in half. I've noticed ZERO side effects. Current goal is to get bodyfat low enough that cholesterol drops even lower. FWIW my HDL is excellent.

starting strength coach development program
    I went around the block on this. My cholesterol shot through the roof (from 136 to nearly 300!) when I made "the change" from neurotic cardio pencil-neck to strength/size focus.

The short of it is.....I ended up doing my own damned research on the topic, and concluded that, for me, it's a scam. Follow the money. It's the perfect product: you take it every day...for the rest of your life. I didn't come to that conclusion without more tests...and Jimmy Moore's book will help you go down that path. There are other's with a similar message who have fancier credentials.

But, before you read any books, just google around about the role cholesterol plays in the body. Cholesterol is important! It's especially important to anyone who wants to have healthy hormones!

Step one for me was I changed doctors. I found a great MD with Integrative Medicine leanings. He did some additional tests and concluded that 1) my heart scan calcium score is zero, and 2) my cholesterol components are mostly the "big fluffy kind". He looked at me and said "we're never worrying about your cholesterol again". Of course, it's part of my annual tests with him, but it's just not the focus anymore. This MD also embraces SS and has encouraged me to continue gaining weight up to 240 lbs as long as I keep my bodyfat in check.

Mostly, I think it should be a personal decision based upon lots of research...rather than your doctor's decision. Many MDs only know one thing: pills. For me, I just had to find a new MD who was on my page regarding risks/rewards. There are risks with any decision...and rewards.

My cholesterol has since regulated itself...but I still like to see it above 200. But, that's just me.
    Last edited by Kitsuma; 12-22-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast