starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Barbell Prescription" . Good read to get for my lazy dad?

Default "The Barbell Prescription" . Good read to get for my lazy dad?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My dad is 60 years old (elderly?), works as a construction worker and comes home to watch TV all evening. He's not a fat dude either. He's been into running before until he stopped for some reason and hasn't really gotten into any activities since.
    He's very closed minded about anything I suggest to him unfortunately.
    I'm hoping I can get him a book (something with authority) to teach him about strength training at his age with all the benefits and explanations for proper programming and lifting.
    Would "The Barbell Prescription" be a good book to try to get him to read? Does anyone else have experience giving their parents this book?

I think it would be a good book. But I wouldn't expect anything to happen. People will only make a change to their lifestyle when they are ready to make that change. It doesn't matter what anyone says to them.

I did buy it for my parents, but I'm not holding my breath. I hope they start doing a training program. Just get his agreement that he will at least read the first couple of chapters. It is a pretty big book.

Yes; the first chapter where Dr. Sullivan outlines the downward spiral of one of the brothers should be a call to arms for him. It's utterly horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Yes; the first chapter where Dr. Sullivan outlines the downward spiral of one of the brothers should be a call to arms for him. It's utterly horrifying.
    I agree. . . . Hopefully he doesn't think it's just too late and give up.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    I think it would be a good book. But I wouldn't expect anything to happen. People will only make a change to their lifestyle when they are ready to make that change. It doesn't matter what anyone says to them.
    Ditto. If he hasn't ever expressed a desire to lift, there's a good chance he won't even read it other than a polite shuffling of pages to seem appreciative.

What might be more helpful is showing the videos of some of J. Sullivan's clients. They are pretty inspirational.

Last edited by wb416; 01-05-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wb416 View Post
    What might be more helpful is showing the videos of some of J. Sullivan's clients. They are pretty inspirational.

I agree with this. While I personally think the book is fantastic, I doubt anyone without intrinsic motivation is going to delve too deeply. But you know your dad better than I.

Not much to lose trying though. And I agree the first chapter is a scary eye opener. I'm about half way through it, and its fantastic. I've read the other SS books though, and have been doing the SS program for a couple years. I am back at it after a post-foot surgery layoff of some of the lifts. I'm 53 years old, and thought this book would be a good thing, both for its new information for old fucks, and as a refresher. So far, it is both, in spades.

And my wife and I get to train with Dr. Sullivan at the Greysteel gym. I thank God everyday for both. Have your Dad watch that introductory film and tell him you are acquainted with the 67 year old guy who couldn't get up from the floor and his wife who had osteoporosis but is now clear of it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    And my wife and I get to train with Dr. Sullivan at the Greysteel gym. I thank God everyday for both. Have your Dad watch that introductory film and tell him you are acquainted with the 67 year old guy who couldn't get up from the floor and his wife who had osteoporosis but is now clear of it.
    You couldn't get up off the floor before. How far have you progressed in how much time?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast