starting strength gym

Thread: Attaining Low Bar Position

Default Attaining Low Bar Position

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 57, and have had some issues recently getting the bar into the correct position. This morning, I stumbled onto something that cured my issue completely, and I'm posting so some of you other geezers with bad shoulders can try it.

I had up until now been placing my hands on the bar, moving my torso under the bar, and trying to bring my hands down and back relative to my shoulders in order to put the bar in the correct position on my low back. This always hurt my left shoulder quite a bit.

This morning, I concentrated on pulling my elbows together, closer to the middle of my back, when getting into position. This naturally pulled my hands down relative to my shoulders, allowing me to get in the correct position. Pulling the elbows together also resulted in a nice tight upper back. I experienced no shoulder pain when getting into position, or subsequently squatting.

I reread my Starting Strength book to see if this is mentioned, and it is not. I hope it helps somebody else.

Mike

A very timely question. Paul Horn SSC: The LBBS Stretch

I had a question?

Sorry. I can only plead poor reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Sorry. I can only plead poor reading comprehension.
    :-) LOL.

Thanks for the video link. I saw that the other day, and I will likely approach fixing my shoulder from that end as well.

However, the thing with the elbows that I stumbled onto this morning gets me in the proper position, pain free, NOW.