starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Alternative for Grandma.

Default Deadlift Alternative for Grandma.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all,

I have a grandma in her 70s. Due to a botched surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome, she now has very limited use of her left hand. As a result she can't hold anything heavier than about 15lbs in a hanging position in that hand for more than a few seconds without losing her grip. On top of that she has pretty severe shoulder arthritis, kyphosis, and some fairly intense inflammation in her lower legs from varicose veins (according to her doctors).

Although she finds it a bit painful to stand for too long, she CAN perform parallel Squats with relative ease. She can't Press and there's no way we are ever getting a light barbell across her back for Squats because of her shoulders. She CAN Bench Press with the light bar, we've done 25 lbs for sets of 3 so far.

In "The Barbell Prescription" by Sullivan and Baker, it recommends emphasizing the Deadlift over the Squat if she lacks the shoulder mobility. BUT, she can't Deadlift because of her grip on her left hand. She can't raise her arms high enough to do Lat Pull Downs (she wouldn't be able to maintain her grip anyways). She CAN do a machine row if I lightly assist her on the side with the weakened hand, I think we will run into grip issues sooner than later, she can do 30 lbs for sets of 3 so far with her grip almost failing on the last rep.

I need help figuring out what sort of program she can do given her limitations. We've been going to the gym once or twice a week. She's motivated and I want her to stay as independent as she can.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've had her try straps. The tightening pressure around her wrist sends shooting pains up her left arm. It's worth a shot but I'm worried that product would just create the same sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanusaurus View Post
    I've had her try straps. The tightening pressure around her wrist sends shooting pains up her left arm. It's worth a shot but I'm worried that product would just create the same sensation.

The Barbell Shrug with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

Watch how Mark uses his straps. If you use straps like he shows in the vid, there will be no tightening pressure on the wrist. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post

I used one of those pieces of shit 2 years ago at the Y and the god dam hook gave way uder 350 pounds and fucked up my hand so I couldn't deadlift for 3 months. Is you buy them for granny, keep them to granny.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I used one of those pieces of shit 2 years ago at the Y and the god dam hook gave way uder 350 pounds and fucked up my hand so I couldn't deadlift for 3 months. Is you buy them for granny, keep them to granny.
    Damn. Good to know. Maybe one of those figure-8 straps is a better idea for granny anyway. Whatever lets her deadlift and doesn't maim anybody.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Damn. Good to know. Maybe one of those figure-8 straps is a better idea for granny anyway. Whatever lets her deadlift and doesn't maim anybody.

Im guessing granny application would be OK. Over 275, Id take a pass though. I couldn't deadlift or clean and I don't do cleans as a stand alone (time) so I clean my presses. It sucked.