starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to get dad to start lifting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    you might consider touring a nursing home...nothing like that smell of urine in the halls, people sitting in dirty diapers, not to mention the other undeniable consequences of (sully's) sick aging phenotype, especially patients slumped over in their wheel chairs, zombied out, or calling for help to "get me out of here"

cajole him into watching sully's channel
    GreySteel - YouTube

and be sure to watch gus' video
    Strength Training - It?s Never Too Late

finding a training partner for him (especially a friend or older relative) - ideally, ChrisRozon's "cute barrista" :-)

if that doesn't jump start him, there's always the realities of funeral pre-planning and a discussion of will/family trust - can't deny the inevitability death in that conversation

and mark is spot on with the "small steps" -- encourage the bike, lots of positive feed back (perhaps set it up in front of a TV is he watches from the couch) - jumping straight to the barbell, while the ultimate goal, might be counter productive...perhaps dead lifting a light kettle bell...then some dumb bells, and then finally the barbell --- lots of encouragement and compliments along the way. perhaps take him out for a steak dinner after a month on the bike (or whatever goal you set)

obviously BBRx is indicated, but be subtle, as it might make him bolt from your entire plan

a tough sell, but you'll figure out something and get to enjoy having your pop around (and vital) all the longer --- good luck

When my health dealt me a shitty hand, I started exercising... stumbled upon Dr Sullivan's article, and took it from there. Now the son is joining me, what I did wrong, was just glanced at the exercise, tried to remember what we did in HS and muck my way through the program.

Now that junior is joining me, I got the book, watched the videos on youtube, and realized I was fucking everything up in one way or another, squat especially.

I reset to baby weights, and the novice program because I was doing everything all fucked up anyway... but to answer your question, you have to take ownership of your health...

One thing that folks forget and it's really not mentioned in the books, is that weight training isn't an all or nothing deal. One can start with just one exercise, which I recommend be the deadlift. Once the trainee sees the benefits of this, maybe add an OHP, and continue adding until the whole SS is being trained.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    One thing that folks forget and it's really not mentioned in the books, is that weight training isn't an all or nothing deal. One can start with just one exercise, which I recommend be the deadlift. Once the trainee sees the benefits of this, maybe add an OHP, and continue adding until the whole SS is being trained.
    Not mocking you here, but John D. McCallum would be proud of you. He had a couple of programs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    I think thats a good plan. I have a friend who is doing the gymbro stuff for several years. Now for the first time I got his attention when it comes to the bench. LP 3x5 + the correct warmup, now he calls me about his gains. Now Im just waiting for him to start doing the other lifts, in a year or two[emoji41]

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Not mocking you here, but John D. McCallum would be proud of you. He had a couple of programs like this.
    Who is John D. McCallum?

Oh man! I had a feeling this might be the case. He was almost Rip before Rip was, and a contemporary of Bill Starr. Here ya' go. THE Complete Keys to Progress: John McCallum: 9780926888012: Amazon.com: Books

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Oh man! I had a feeling this might be the case. He was almost Rip before Rip was, and a contemporary of Bill Starr. Here ya' go. THE Complete Keys to Progress: John McCallum: 9780926888012: Amazon.com: Books
    If anyone hasn't read this, I HIGHLY encourage it. Everyone interested in the pursuit of lifting heavy things will find it interesting, and even more so, entertaining. It should be on your shelf next to SS.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm trying the same thing with my 75 yo Dad. He's been retired from farming for 2-3 years and while still active, he has picked up a belly and lately complains about his grip strength getting weak. I dropped off a couple of dumbbells yesterday and gave his some suggestions for doing squats and overhead press with them. I also gave him my old grip exerciser now that I've bought a Captain of Crush Trainer model.

He told me he had been working out recently with a couple of pieces of steel, so maybe this will encourage him to step it up a little.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast