starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to get dad to start lifting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Not mocking you here, but John D. McCallum would be proud of you. He had a couple of programs like this.
    I believe I read one those, where he talked about being aboard a ship and could only squat and deadlift. He said he made fantastic gains.

*Here it is... The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: Training for Gaining - John McCallum (December 1965)
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 01-13-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Found the article

And now for a complete change in perspective: I'm 64 and attempting to get my two 30-something sons to start serious lifting. Both are doing light machine weights and "cardio". I squat 285 and deadlift 350. How would you young guys advise me to proceed?

I'd say demonstrating how you are twice their age and can out lift them could shame them into it. Make a video and show it to their wives.

You might get them to prescribe to the weekly newsletter from startingstrength.com
    Just put their emailadresses on the site and ask them to confirm the subscription

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    And now for a complete change in perspective: I'm 64 and attempting to get my two 30-something sons to start serious lifting. Both are doing light machine weights and "cardio". I squat 285 and deadlift 350. How would you young guys advise me to proceed?
    Not exactly what you were asking for but, I'm 62 and have a 30-something son-in-law lifting with me an a semi regular basis. Every situation is different, use what you've got.
    - I was pretty crippled up in spite of doing a program like you sons for several year (lots of cardio and "as seen on TV / Total Gym") 7+ hours per week
    - Special snowflaked the SS model for 4 months
    - Helped them move, (a shocking development)
    - Tuned back the special-ness of my snowflake status, got up to 76% of your numbers in the next 6 months

I suspect the stark nature of the me before and after was both wonderful and terrifying.
    Getting big results while working out less seems too good to be true.

Advice:
    - Ask them how much time they are spending getting "current" results? (I only spend 2-3 hours per week now, far less than half of failed methods)
    - Let them watch you eat. LOL. (Perhaps the reason you are not gaining weight should be discussed)
    - Never pass on an opportunity to shake hands or bear hug (or wrestle LOL)
    - Talk up the Barbell Prescription to others in their circle.
    - Listen for talk of injuries... there are plenty of solutions / explanations within this forum or the books.

Sometimes we lose traction on certain issues with those close to us. My advice is look for "easy sales" to people they are influenced by. Or listen to their conversations about working out and health and insert a link from Jordan Feigenbaum, or other forum experts.

And what 57Bergstrm said.

Good luck.

Three very good responses from fellow geezers. Still very interested to hear from OP and other young guys about their thoughts. PS this is not a hijacking, it's a "shoe on the other foot" scenario. What would a young guy advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Squat 295 and DL 365, show them that it is the process -stress/recovery/adaptation - that drives results even for those of us with more, um, seasoning. They may think that the Old Man is just a crusty old hardcore dude and have no idea of how the systems operate.

Great work, Cheesepuff! I've given away about 8 Barbell Prescription books since it came out. So far no hits. I've gone through the moves with my daughter. I can't get my son interested.

Gene

Thanks, Mark. I just ordered it!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I'd say demonstrating how you are twice their age and can out lift them could shame them into it. Make a video and show it to their wives.
    Ha! If that doesn't do it, nothing will.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast