starting strength gym

Thread: Low back muscle pain as I rack squats?

Default Low back muscle pain as I rack squats?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For a couple months I've had a back tweak that I only feel racking/unloading the weight after my squats (and a couple times standing up from a deadlift last rep). It varies in how much it hurts, and seems to be helped by keeping my feet even (instead of one foot forward) when I unrack, but it's still noticeable every rack of the bar once I get to 225. I'm doing Andy Baker's 8/5/2 and my last squat worksets were 405x2x3, at 215BW and 52YO.

I'm pretty sure what I'm feeling is an oblique on my left side (connecting iliac crest to central spine structure or something deeper than that. Rolling on a ball feels good, and the left/hurting side seems much tighter than the right after a set. I had a bunch of rest over the holidays and early January and hoped it would heal up, but no luck.

All I can figure is that the muscle is ok while bracing the squat and hurts on relaxing, but I can't see why it has to brace particularly hard unless some asymmetry makes that side work extra, like maybe if my right leg is shorter, or spine is curved? I've not had any previous indication that seems typical for what I've read about those conditions.

Any insight or pointers appreciated, especially if you have similar experience - I didn't find any "hurts as weight comes off my back" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    Any insight or pointers appreciated, especially if you have similar experience - I didn't find any "hurts as weight comes off my back" threads.
    am familiar with back pain, but nothing like your experience. found these to be EXTREMELY helpful on a recent back issue of my own - hope they help

Back Injuries | Starting Strength Podcast
    really liked the OTC pain med protocol...let me finally sleep at night

Weight Training with Low Back Pain | Will Morris
    very helpful 3-part video lecture by Will Morris

Non-Specific Mechanical Back Pain | Starting Strength Podcast
    more Will Morris

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    For a couple months I've had a back tweak that I only feel racking/unloading the weight after my squats (and a couple times standing up from a deadlift last rep). It varies in how much it hurts, and seems to be helped by keeping my feet even (instead of one foot forward) when I unrack, but it's still noticeable every rack of the bar once I get to 225. I'm doing Andy Baker's 8/5/2 and my last squat worksets were 405x2x3, at 215BW and 52YO.

I'm pretty sure what I'm feeling is an oblique on my left side (connecting iliac crest to central spine structure or something deeper than that. Rolling on a ball feels good, and the left/hurting side seems much tighter than the right after a set. I had a bunch of rest over the holidays and early January and hoped it would heal up, but no luck.

All I can figure is that the muscle is ok while bracing the squat and hurts on relaxing, but I can't see why it has to brace particularly hard unless some asymmetry makes that side work extra, like maybe if my right leg is shorter, or spine is curved? I've not had any previous indication that seems typical for what I've read about those conditions.

Could be a form issue, do you have a SScoach nearby?

Yeah, if it's not a standard thing, a visit to a live or video coach seems like the only option. Cheaper than starting with an MD or chiropractor, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should visit doc) I think he will give a prescription for soma - is a muscle relaxer that disrupts the feeling of pain.

starting strength coach development program
    The last two times I tweaked my lower back, it was a combination of bending and twisting with my feet not even. I wasn't even lifting anything heavy - just being in that position and straightening up did it.
    Hell to get old....