starting strength gym

Thread: Hip replacements. Back at it.

Default Hip replacements. Back at it.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had bad arthritis for probably a decade before I was diagnosed. During that time, my joint flexibility and mobility were really limited. I think those muscles that were not used for a decade are slow to re-gain, but they are there. I did my squats today with a 45# bar and using the little stool that is just a bit shorter than the height of my knee in case I lost my strength on the way down. I was able to almost touch the top of the stool with pretty good form, so I do think that I will get the motion back eventually. I just haven't worked on it, and physical therapy did not address this at all. Weird.

My SI joints are "unstable" and I have a lot of pain with them no matter what I do. I've had them worked on by my PT and chiropractor, and been through several "SI rehab" rounds at PT. I have finally decided to just ignore them for a while and strengthen the muscles around them. They are not getting any better by not getting stronger, and I can't hurt them any more than they already are. Walking on the treadmill takes the SI pain from 8-9/10 from waist to knee, down to about a 4-5 and in a slightly smaller area, so I think that's a good sign.

Today's workout
    10 min warmup on treadmill.

Squats. warmup 1 set of 5 @ body-weight, then 3 x 5 @ 45#
    Not increasing that weight until I can actually do the movement, because my form is pretty bad. I think a couple of weeks or a month or so might do it?

DL. warmup sets of 5 x 55#, 65#. then 3 x 5 @ 75#
    A year or so ago, I was DLing 145#. I'm trying to get back to that range and then will do single sets with increasing weight.

Bench - shoulder warm-up then 3 x 5 @ 46#
    (I got a set of "micro-weights" from a guy on Ebay) :-)
    I'm very nervous about my shoulder because of the three partial tears. I had prolotherapy on it about two years ago, but haven't done much with it since, just babying it.
    It feels hot and a little tight starting about an hour after working out, but it does not hurt the next day, or while I am lifting, so I will keep on with this for now.

Working on getting down into a squat and back up. With an assist, I can do it, so I have the range of motion but I don't have the strength to get up on my own from squatting all the way down. So I am doing box squats with body-weight, and did three sets of 5 with a 45# bar. My shoulders are a little tight, but it's do-able.
    Bench press 47#, 3 sets of 5. My shoulder with the rotator cuff tear is achy, but not terrible, so I am going to keep at this.
    DL - warmed up with 75#, 85#, then did a set with 100#. First time I have been at 100 or over in a while.
    I found a "hip warmup" from Cal-State-Poly on YouTube. I can't do a lot of it, but it's something to shoot for.

I would recommend finding a SSC and getting a bit of personal attention. You have a number of issues and I'd bet that strength training will help, but you've got to do it right.