starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a 41 year old welcome on the lawn of this sub forum?

Default Is a 41 year old welcome on the lawn of this sub forum?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a little confused about where the 40-50 Novices fall. Rip's info says 18-35 generally for standard programing, and Dr. Sullivan's info varies from 40 and up to 50 and up depending on where your reading or watching videos. Wondering if I should start a log here or in the general deal.

41 year old male
    6'2"
    250 and obese
    never lifted weights or much else since high school
    traveling desk job in multifamily real estate
    live in Monroe, MI
    4 kids: 1 in college, one who's 4, and 18 month old twins.

Started the novice program yesterday, and will be attending the squat camp in Lansing with Dr. Sullivan on the 18th.

Welcome.

As for where you fit, it's too early to tell. Start training and see how you do. Some geezers are tougher than others, and I don't mean this as a moral claim. Some just handle volume better.

I also think, technically, you are a geezling.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Welcome.

As for where you fit, it's too early to tell. Start training and see how you do. Some geezers are tougher than others, and I don't mean this as a moral claim. Some just handle volume better.

I also think, technically, you are a geezling.
    Well, hell. Fair enough.

The old are less standardized, differences (such as injuries) accumulate over time. So you won't know until you try.

I'm also an old guy with young kids (51, two kids in college and two in grade school). Welcome aboard!

In general, being older is a disadvantage, but we do have a secret weapon: we have more money than the young do. So pay for some coaching, and set up a home gym. Get proper shoes, etc.

I'll be 51 in 6 days. 41 is a youngster. As already suggested, just train my friend. Don't assume that because you're a certain age you have to do this or that. You don't know that yet. Some of the best powerlifters and bodybuilders are in their 40's. Age is just a number, it means something but not as much as some people think.

And welcome!

You are welcome here. Going to Sully's camp is a very good thing, I went.

Use the search function on the forums to see the topics that interest you, there is a lot of good stuff out there. But I always look here first.... after Rip's Q&A.

Ends and Pieces is an acquired taste.

For novice purposes put your log in the Starting Strength area below. For specific questions that may relate to being older than 40 this is a good sub forum. I still post my log in that area though I'm not a novice. But as you can see I also post things here.

For technic questions post in the technic forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    The old are less standardized, differences (such as injuries) accumulate over time. So you won't know until you try.

I'm also an old guy with young kids (51, two kids in college and two in grade school). Welcome aboard!

In general, being older is a disadvantage, but we do have a secret weapon: we have more money than the young do. So pay for some coaching, and set up a home gym. Get proper shoes, etc.
    Thanks, and excellent points. SML3 set up and new iron arrived from Rogue last Friday, emailed Sully about coaching, and have tried 2 shoes already...the adipowers and adidas powerlift 3...both way too narrow in the balls and toes of my feet. So I returned them. (Amazon prime is a huge time saver).

I read through a bunch of shoe posts, massive fluctuation in opinion. Now I'm just trying to find anything else in my size to try that has a heel at .75" or less and is stiff in the back and wide enough up front.

Keep an open mind about shoes, a heel is not the best choice for everyone. I use a flat soled shoe for all of my training.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Keep an open mind about shoes, a heel is not the best choice for everyone. I use a flat soled shoe for all of my training.
    I already have some flat ones (which I'll continue to use for deadlifts, the others were recommended by a coach. Figure it's worth a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast