starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check.

Default Squat form check.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How can I get more depth?

Last edited by namrats66; 03-07-2017 at 02:43 AM. Reason: clariification

I think a coach would tell you to get your knees out more, and maybe widen your stance. But I'm not a coach, wait for an expert's advice.

If no one notices this here in "elderly", try the Staff Coaches Q&A forum, though you might have to wait a few days for your thread to show up. It's moderated.

Thanks, I point my toes out about what I think seems 30 degrees and keep my legs open even when I get stuck, but maybe wider stance will help. If I try to sit back more my balance goes and I fall backward, on the other hand it does not take much to cause my balance to fail forward. I will try a wider stance and pushing knees out more, and perhaps the Staff Coaches Q&A. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I think a coach would tell you to get your knees out more, and maybe widen your stance. But I'm not a coach, wait for an expert's advice.

If no one notices this here in "elderly", try the Staff Coaches Q&A forum, though you might have to wait a few days for your thread to show up. It's moderated.

First off you should start with a warm up of only the bar for 5x5. If you have a 12" box or stool place it directly behind you in the rack, and touch it with your rear each rep. Touch, don't sit. If 12" seems impossibly low, put a plate or chushion on it. Once you can touch the box consistently get rid ofit. You need to push your knees out as you squat. Keep your weight over the mid foot. It's hard to see your stance, but going wider could make it more difficult to hit depth. You're not that far away from proper depth.
    Last edited by Peter Nathan; 03-07-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by namrats66 View Post
    Thanks, I point my toes out about what I think seems 30 degrees and keep my legs open even when I get stuck, but maybe wider stance will help. If I try to sit back more my balance goes and I fall backward, on the other hand it does not take much to cause my balance to fail forward. I will try a wider stance and pushing knees out more, and perhaps the Staff Coaches Q&A. Thanks again.
    For me I did ascending five reps was very usefull. Because it is easier practise to reach depth when the bar is light, then I did only one workset cause I already got my volume in. Startwith the bar for 2x5 and then do even steps up to the last 1x5 workset, maybe a total of 4-5 sets with weight on the bar. There is also the teknik forum, more people reading that, so probably you get more answer ,here its only a bunch of old farts[emoji851], good luck with your lifting.[emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by namrats66 View Post
    Thanks, I point my toes out about what I think seems 30 degrees...
    As Peter pointed out, it's hard to be sure from this camera angle, but your feet don't look to me like they're pointed out 30 degrees. It would be a very simple thing to try pointing them out wider. You could always widen your stance in conjunction with wider toes as a second step.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all for the feedback, I'll try the suggestions out and see if depth improves.