starting strength gym

Thread: Programming

Default Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For an "elderly", arthritis-ridden, painful beginner, are "work sets" supposed to be three sets of five (except DL) after warmup sets?
    I've been doing medium to rather heavy warmup sets (3 sets), and then 1 set of 5 of my highest weight, my work set.
    No pain, but definitely feeling it the next day with soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    For an "elderly", arthritis-ridden, painful beginner, are "work sets" supposed to be three sets of five (except DL) after warmup sets?
    I've been doing medium to rather heavy warmup sets (3 sets), and then 1 set of 5 of my highest weight, my work set.
    How long have you been at it, and what weights are we talking about? Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) usually goes away after a couple weeks on the program, unless you have a hiatus. Tendonosis-type soreness is a different thing, but is more likely exposing form problems than volume issues. Arthritis has been known to improve with training.

The book is pretty clear about light warmups (bar only) so you may need to re-read (or buy the book) and consider Barbell Rx, as it suggests more light warmups for our demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    How to Warm Up - Baker Strength Coaching

Now, order this: The Barbell Prescription | The Aasgaard Company

Thanks VikingCellist
    The book is on order. (Actually The programming book and the Rx book are both ordered). Waiting for them to arrive.
    In the meantime I have read SS through several times and highlighted/underlined a lot of it.
    Good explanation of the warmup. I appreciate that.

I guess my basic question is: should a 59 year old woman beginner be doing 3 sets of 5 for "work sets" like a young man would do?
    Last edited by Outstanding; 03-09-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Noun/verb tense agreement.

Yes she should. It won't last as long as it would for a younger or more male beginner, but the program works.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks johnnys.