starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Given up on or stopped any hobbies?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gnk View Post
    OMG - that is quite an injury! How has that quad injury affected your use of that leg?
    Doesn't really bother me at all. Squatting was the best thing for it. I have a big divot in my leg where that muscle used to be...as my leg gets stronger/bigger, the divot grows and looks odd. My doc and I have laughed about it a couple times.

Aside from giving up all other training for barbell training, I may give up topwater bluefin tuna fishing with spinning gear (not 80 or 50 wides from standup or gunnels) off Cape Cod this season and spend the money on a good rack, barbell and weights so I can train at home. Funny to me that guys in their 40's on this forum think that they are elderly. Even funnier that guys in the gym in their 30's tell me that they are old. I never got the memo that I am supposed to stop training after my 60's.

Can I get an Amen! for that.

Amen!

Praise the Lord of Iron! (and pass the microloads)

[emoji120]

I get giving up any sort of messing about that cuts into time that should be spent sleeping, but I can't see how playing guitar should interfere with lifting.

I mostly practice bass these days, but still mess with the guitar a bit. It is pretty easy to at least maintain your skills with as little as 20 minutes 4 days a week. This assumes you are actually practicing rather than just noodling and playing songs.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I get giving up any sort of messing about that cuts into time that should be spent sleeping, but I can't see how playing guitar should interfere with lifting.

I mostly practice bass these days, but still mess with the guitar a bit. It is pretty easy to at least maintain your skills with as little as 20 minutes 4 days a week. This assumes you are actually practicing rather than just noodling and playing songs.
    I agree, 20 minutes, at least, I usually take it every day with longer sessions in the weekends. I quit the bass for the guitar. Its more fun when you play alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    I agree, 20 minutes, at least, I usually take it every day with longer sessions in the weekends.
    I do 45 minutes (actual playing time) on training days before I train. These days are more like training than making music really. This keeps my hands, ears, and voice ( I do a similar vocal "workout" after the bass session.) capable. I might mess around with actual songs or writing later in that day, but am ok if I don't get to do so.

I spend more time for writing and learning songs/exploring new genres on other days, but I am confident that I could divide just the training part into 5 20 minute sessions and still maintain 80-90% of my chops and ear if that was all the time I had.

The big mistake people make though is confusing practicing with rehearsing and noodling/writing. Most people spend all their time doing the latter two and none doing the former (I did for years)...or else practicing the wrong things/way.

There are a lot of parallels to this and strength training vs. sports practice and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    I quit the bass for the guitar. It's more fun when you play alone.
    I used to believe that silly BS too. It really has much more to do with your tastes and ability.

I originally took up guitar because I was travelling a lot and couldn't commit to playing with anyone regularly. I also thought that it was impossible for me to sing lead while playing bass, but I finally bit the bullet a year ago and left myself without another option. My experience has been that playing bass keeps my guitar chops pretty close to performance level even when sometimes going more than a week without even touching a guitar, but the other doesn't seem to be true.
    Last edited by George Christiansen; 03-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    In all I think I'm just not that interested in playing any more. I think since I've played for so long I have to keep doing it. Think I'm just going to put it away for awhile and work on other stuff.

Thanks for the replies everybody.
    Last edited by Arkansan; 03-19-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234