starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Given up on or stopped any hobbies?

Default Given up on or stopped any hobbies?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm thinking of putting guitar playing on the back burner or just stop all together.
    It seems to interfere with my rest and recovery(going to bed late) and sometimes I might just skip workouts.

Just turned 44 the other day. Thinking it's time to really get serious on getting strong and getting rid of my dad bod.

What if any have you given up on or just stopped doing?

Just last week I decided to quit powerlifting competitively and instead take up the highland games instead. Henceforth, I'll be hurling all manner of things. From stones, to telephone poles, to hammers, sheaves, and what-not.

Fortunately named, are you?
    Will this include living in Scotland? I might want to go. 🙂

Yeah, until Wayne's World made the term hurl and hurling (theretofore unheard by me and most people) a thing. Then there was the Wayne's World II poster that had the caption "HURLING AT YOU! Opens September **. Which happened to be my birthday. Ah, fun days indeed.

Scotland looks lovely. But I am coming up on my first anniversary of retirement when we moved from CA to beautiful Southern Illinois. We're happy here and have no intentions of moving again.

And I understand it rains all the time in many parts of Scotland.

Lifting is really my only hobby, which is pretty sad. I gave up 4 wheeling, not from lack of time but from lack of mechanical aptitude. Gotta be able to fix broken shit.

Sounds like fun Mark.

Yeah that sucks Dag.

With summer coming work is going to start kicking my ass again, and my son is going to be back into baseball.

I need to start prioritizing things. It seems like every time I start making headway on my workout something always throws me off. And the the excuses start.

I am the president of my local astronomy club and I haven't had my scope under a dark sky in 8 months. Some of that is due to the volatile nature of my travel schedule but my drive to lift heavy stuff has definitely made me miss a few nights of scoping in trade for recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    I'm thinking of putting guitar playing on the back burner or just stop all together.
    It seems to interfere with my rest and recovery(going to bed late) and sometimes I might just skip workouts.

Just turned 44 the other day. Thinking it's time to really get serious on getting strong and getting rid of my dad bod.

What if any have you given up on or just stopped doing?
    Just turned 44 and you're already giving up??? Heh!

I'm almost 60 now and have yet to give up on anything. I'll take that back. I gave up on hunting in the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho. It is straight up from 3800' to over 10,000'. It's not that I can't do it anymore. Instead, it causes me knee pain to pack out 140 pounds of meat downhill, on top of 50 pounds of gear, for a dozen miles or so. The last time I killed an elk in there, I had to make 4 trips with 125 pound packs, almost 6 miles. I was tuckered!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Just turned 44 and you're already giving up??? Heh
    Maybe I won't quit, I just won't let it interfere with me getting stronger anymore.lol

starting strength coach development program
    Hiking and backpacking.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast