starting strength gym

Thread: Just added Power Clean, lower back sore as hell?

Default Just added Power Clean, lower back sore as hell?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Normal? Not like I injured anything, just massive DOMS in the low back. I am guessing it is just due to this new movement.

I would say not normal. I assume that you have been dead-lifting w/o this same DOMS? I'd post a form check. Power cleans, if performed correctly with a rigid back, should not cause significant DOMS in the back. Traps, yes, lower back, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hanson View Post
    I would say not normal. I assume that you have been dead-lifting w/o this same DOMS? I'd post a form check. Power cleans, if performed correctly with a rigid back, should not cause significant DOMS in the back. Traps, yes, lower back, no.

We don't do them today, so I will re read that chapter, watch some videos and post a form check when we are scheduled to do them again.

No DOM's from deadlifting, just more of a fatigue feeling for me anyway.. junior is never sore..

Rigid back plus jumping and shrugging, something is askew there, I would guess.. leaning back to try and lever the weight up with my back maybe?

I think you can tell when you do a good one, it is almost weightless.

How are you putting them down? It's easy for inexperienced people to fuck up the down if they're lowering them vs dropping.

Leaning back would be an error, but would not make you sore if your back is in extension.

no bumper plates, putting down similar to DL, bend knees once bar is past knees.

I think I was "pre jumping" a little bit, lowering the bar slightly to gain momentum to jump.. stopped doing this and I got that "weightless" feeling on the pull and back no longer is sore.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    How are you putting them down? It's easy for inexperienced people to fuck up the down if they're lowering them vs dropping.
    Leaning back would be an error, but would not make you sore if your back is in extension.
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    no bumper plates, putting down similar to DL, bend knees once bar is past knees.
    this is the second thread like this over the last week: I f'd up back + powerclean + no bumpers.

As funny as the Iron Plate Problem Video is,

Rip really doesn't explain how to drop the bar to the thighs, and then to the floor.

So that video really didn't solve anything. (unless the Book explains it better).

I myself don't have a problem with this, but evidently others do.

Even the instructional videos really don't go droppin/getting back down to the floor:

Probably what you don't want to do HERE,

or Here

. . . I don't know if one wants to keep doing this