starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OHP Stalled again.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    ^ That would be too much volume for me.

I'd second (third and fourth) the idea that frequency might be the answer here. Pressing and benching once a week lead to stalls on both. Adding in a lighter press and bench as assistance work seemed to unstick them, mostly.

I do the lighter lifts at a weight where they will definitely go up and not grind, well not too much. I do three to five sets of five, adding a set each week and then increase the weight, if I feel ready for it. Probably don't need the extra sets, but it feels like progress.

Technique faults can also make a big difference. A slight forward travel of the bar can be recovered on the first two or three reps, but if it deviates from mid foot at the end of the set, it will stick at just above eye level.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    A brand new video that has some great instruction. Stay Strong !!

Dude's clearly strong but I dunno about some of his suggestions for the strict press (I have no experience with the push press). Seems like an awfully wide grip and, really? you want to loosen up enough to take a big breath with the weight above your head? He does talk about getting the bar right over your forearm bones but then demonstrates the lift with wrists pretty much fully extended. I'd get dizzy whipping my head around like that as well. Like I said, strong guy, but what works for a strong guy doesn't always work for the rest of us.

He wasn't always that strong. He has a 310 pound strict press (without any nonsensical air humping)

^ That would be too much volume for me.
    Same here. That and push presses are usually counter-indicated for most Master athletes due to the additional strain on knees (See Barbell Prescription book). Came across a related discussion here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...rry-press.html

Yeah, I'm bored today.

He wasn't always that strong. He has a 310 pound strict press (without any nonsensical air humping)
    I am not alone!

I'm quite sure he wasn't born with a 310 pound press. :-)

But we have no way of knowing if his strict press would be higher or lower if he narrowed his grip a bit and didn't extend his wrists so much. (And engaged in a little air humping :-))

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    I'm quite sure he wasn't born with a 310 pound press. :-)

But we have no way of knowing if his strict press would be higher or lower if he narrowed his grip a bit and didn't extend his wrists so much. (And engaged in a little air humping :-))
    I would imagine he has tried other things on his way to being strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    I would imagine he has tried other things on his way to being strong.
    I have no doubt he tried many things. We don't know what those things were, though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Same here. That and push presses are usually counter-indicated for most Master athletes due to the additional strain on knees (See Barbell Prescription book). Came across a related discussion here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...rry-press.html

Yeah, I'm bored today.
    How would a push press hurt your knees? I squat almost double what I can push press. If people think it doesn't work the 1st part of the lift that is wrong too. I'm pushing as hard as I can regardless. You also use more weight which helps the whole movement including the eccentric.

I'm quite a bit younger than Shug (2 years) so I can handle a bit more volume Actually volume doesn't bother me too much on pressing movements so that might be an individual thing. I'd still do it twice a week regardless, but maybe cut back on the lifts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast