starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OHP Stalled again.

Question OHP Stalled again.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve stalled again on the overhead press. I exited LP a while back and have been doing well with the back off method on all my lifts noted in PPST3rd page 233/234. However the OHP has stalled again at 115lbs. I’m 59, 5’10” and 169lbs. I know I need to gain weight and I am working that but I’m also trying to manage my pre-diabetes at the same time through diet (I have insulin resistance big time).

When I was on the LP I did two resets per lift and that helped extend my progression. Can resets also work once a person has left LP behind and working other programs?

I find that a lift will stall while others move forward. Those other lifts will help your OHP get traction again and start moving. I just tell myself to enjoy lifting and be patient. At our age, it's not a race.
    good luck!

How often are you pressing these days? The press is a lift that seems to respond well to volume. Have you tried the ascending sets of five template as laid out in the section in PPST you refer to? Of course, the standard questions of how long are you resting between sets, how big are the weight jumps you are taking and how much are you eating all apply as well (you've addressed that last one already). I have a set of microplates that allow me to add as little as a pound and I think that has helped me with keeping my press going up. For the OHP, the jump from 110 to 111 (or 112.5) is very different than a jump from 110 to 115. As Kitsuma noted, this is not a race (well, it actually is a race, but it's a marathon, not a sprint). Progress is progress. Keep at it.
    Last edited by Jr_Geezer; 03-16-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added marathon vs sprint

I'm 53, and have had a persistent problem with progressing on the OH. Same but to a lesser extent on the bench. I microplate it, but even with that it is hard af to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    How often are you pressing these days? The press is a lift that seems to respond well to volume. Have you tried the ascending sets of five template as laid out in the section in PPST you refer to? Of course, the standard questions of how long are you resting between sets, how big are the weight jumps you are taking and how much are you eating all apply as well (you've addressed that last one already). I have a set of microplates that allow me to add as little as a pound and I think that has helped me with keeping my press going up. For the OHP, the jump from 110 to 111 (or 112.5) is very different than a jump from 110 to 115. As Kitsuma noted, this is not a race. Progress is progress. Keep at it.
    I press once a week. I haven't tried the ascending sets yet. I rest eight minutes between sets. I take 1lb jumps and perhaps I should lower that to .5lb. The eating part I'm still working out and that could hold me back until I figure out the proper diet however my other lifts are still increasing although I can see the BP will be the next one to stall.

I have found that you can be a little more aggressive with the carbs after a tough workout, and cycle them back on off days.. are you using a glucometer?

I am full blow diabetic, but have managed to keep a somewhat normal profile when I get checked every 3 months. Working out completely carb depleted sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I press once a week. I haven't tried the ascending sets yet. I rest eight minutes between sets. I take 1lb jumps and perhaps I should lower that to .5lb. The eating part I'm still working out and that could hold me back until I figure out the proper diet however my other lifts are still increasing although I can see the BP will be the next one to stall.
    Sounds like you're doing things correctly, at least with respect to rest times and weight jumps. Can you press more than once a week? Doing any accessory work? I started doing LTEs once a week when I started my intermediate program last month (It's supposed to feel heavy) and I think they have really helped both my bench and OHP, as I've hit PRs in both lifts since I started.
    Could also be form related. Have you posted a video?

A brand new video that has some great instruction. Stay Strong !!

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Sounds like you're doing things correctly, at least with respect to rest times and weight jumps. Can you press more than once a week? Doing any accessory work? I started doing LTEs once a week when I started my intermediate program last month (It's supposed to feel heavy) and I think they have really helped both my bench and OHP, as I've hit PRs in both lifts since I started.
    Could also be form related. Have you posted a video?
    I have not posted a video I'll look into doing so. I'm also not doing any assistance exercices except for chin ups. I'll read what you have posted here and check into it. Thanks!

Meshuggah: Thanks for the video below I'll watch that as well. Love this forum.

starting strength coach development program
    You need to press twice a week instead of once. Mix it up a little rep wise; Do fives one day, 3's the second day. Also do some push presses for overload, and strict presses for form. Try dumbbell and high incline presses too. In my press workouts I do one heavy exercise and one lighter exercise. Something like:
    Monday - Work up to a 90+% single x 1-3, follow by 5 sets of 3, followed by 70 degree incline press 3 sets of 6
    Thursday - Work up to 90%+ push press x 3, followed by 3 sets of 5 normal press, followed by 3 sets of 6 @ 70 degree incline

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast