starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: People don't get this kind of workout stuff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here everybody wants to talk about food, but most of the time it's never healthy food. Football is also a poupular topic.

If I bring up weightlifting to my dad, he is always well you need to be carful your not getting any younger. I just say all the more reason to lift.

I think the basic and most common reason for that lack of response is discomfort hearing about you doing what they wish they had the nuts to do themselves. To talk about it is to expose their own lack of strength training as well as their lack of understanding of weight training. It's human nature at work, really.

The desire and drive to lift heavy things is actually quite crazy, normal people will never understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I think the basic and most common reason for that lack of response is discomfort hearing about you doing what they wish they had the nuts to do themselves. To talk about it is to expose their own lack of strength training as well as their lack of understanding of weight training. It's human nature at work, really.
    Oh, I don't know. Some coworkers of mine used to talk about fishing. A lot. I don't fish, have no desire to fish and don't want to hear or talk about fishing. If people don't want to talk about lifting, it's just their lack of interest, not their lack of testicular fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    Oh, I don't know. Some coworkers of mine used to talk about fishing. A lot. I don't fish, have no desire to fish and don't want to hear or talk about fishing. If people don't want to talk about lifting, it's just their lack of interest, not their lack of testicular fortitude.
    Sure, for some people. But the difference is that weightlifting is something that goes more to a man's ego and his feelings of relative weakness and unmanliness. Fishing, less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    The desire and drive to lift heavy things is actually quite crazy, normal people will never understand it.
    My Bride didn't quite get it until she saw me carry things under a single arm that I used to struggle to carry with both...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    My Bride didn't quite get it until she saw me carry things under a single arm that I used to struggle to carry with both...
    Despite the current effort to feminize boys and men, most women still appreciate a strong, masculine man.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Despite the current effort to feminize boys and men, most women still appreciate a strong, masculine man.
    The feminists and other assorted SJW's in media, academe, and think tanks are busily engaged in that effort. Most of the rest of (normal) women give a shit less about it and, as you say, prefer the old school manifestations of masculinity.

Friends see me limping out of the gym, sweating my balls off, light headed after a top set of deads and ask why I don't just do the ellipitical or something. Same friends never lose any weight or look any different LOL.. I just keep on doing what I am doing.

starting strength coach development program
    My bride gets it. A few weeks into it she commented on my body and said "Here Comes Hercules". A year later after nearly dying she joined me. We both look better than when we started and we both can lift things we couldn't before.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast