Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: People don't get this kind of workout stuff

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    All the things that Crookedfinger listed above. But for me, another wonderful "side-effect" of strength training is what it does for my mood. I've suffered depression the last 6 or 7 years on and off. Especially during the long, crappy, endless Michigan winters.

I was on an SSRI for a couple of years for depression and didn't like the side-effects. I remember when I went off it - slowly weaning myself off the SSRIs. After a few weeks I started getting brain zaps. Literally, it felt like I would get an electrical shock to the brain for a second. Then I'd be fine. For a while during my "detox" from SSRIs, I'd get more than 10 zaps per hour. Luckily, thanks to the internet, I found it was not unusual to get this kind of reaction when coming off SSRIs and they would go away. They did. Took about a 6 weeks. Never again...

A couple years later is when I started strength training after getting the blue book. I noticed during that winter when I'd normally get deep into my depressive hole that I just didn't feel bad at all. And on training days, I actually felt very good! No other "exercise" (cardio) did that for me -and I had tried that in the past. There's something about strength training that is different for me than lsd training in this regard.

Now, I look at every training session as a "dose" of anti-depressant, so even on days I don't want to train, I get down to my basement and take my "dose" of meds. The effectiveness of this medication is excellent for me, and the side-effects (being strong, looking strong, and feeling strong) are a tremendous bonus.
    Ditto. I've noticed the same thing. I've never been on meds for depression (just figured it was just a funk most people go through), but have noticed my natural cynicism has been tamped way down since I began training. It does make a case for the human evolution as an animal that needs to be challenged and tested, and when not, symptoms of that lack of stimulus arise as not only physical maladies (obesity, diabetes, hypertension) but mental ones as well. Kind of like a horse left alone too long in the barn, pacing back and forth at the stall door; bored, atrophied and slowing going insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    So, all us geezer lifters fear a slow death, mostly after watching a loved one endure a protracted one; and, motivated by a clear understanding of "compression of morbidity", and the counteractive power of weightlifting, we choose to fight back aggressively by hardening our bodies and stockpiling reserves. That's easily 60% of my motivation, with a mix of vanity and current vitality making up the balance. How do you rank it?
    I cut and paste especially insightful or well-stated forum posts into Notes on my iPad. This made the roster. Very well stated, Best. 👍

Bill, thank you for the compliment, it's much appreciated!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678