starting strength gym
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Goals?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How are you going to replicate the weights for height/distance, Mark? Kettle bells of appropriate weight? Or are you going to buy the real deal?

There's a guy called The Olde Scot who makes this stuff. But he wanted $120 for a hammer! So I'm going to try the DIY route. Kettle bells are a possibility I am considering. But then a pail of concrete might work well too. The sheave toss should be easy. I just need to pop in to Rural King for a 3 tined pitchfork and ask the farmer down the road from me for some hay to stuff in a gunny sack.

I have buddies here who could supply me with stone, but I think using the adjustable dumbbell set I bought this morning for the hammer and putting the plates together creatively might work.

In my first 8 weeks of the my IVS program (Log: Geezer Gainzzz) I made an average of 12% gains in 1RM over the Squat, Deadlift, Pres and Bench. Goal setting for the next 8 weeks, I’m going for 10% over all lifts, then 9% increase over the next, then 8%, then 7%, then finally 6%...(attempting to factor in diminishing returns). If this works, barring injury, here's where I land over each of the next 8 week periods (note “W16” means Week 16, “Now” is Week 8):

Lift……..Incr%.....Now…W16…W24…W32…W40…W48
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Squat…..10/9/8……310….341…372…..401…430…..455
    Deadlift..10/9/8…..375….413…450…..486....520…..551
    Press…..10/9/8…...150….165…180…..194….208…..220
    Bench… 10/9/8……235….259…282……304….326…..345

Chances are this model is too aggressive for a 64 YO but like Strega said “better to aim high than miss low”. Time will tell! And adjustments can be made…

My goals:

Movement: Deadlift Squat Bench Press
    Goal: 575 500 375 275
    Current Best: 525 465 345 250

The right programming will be required to meet these goals. My numbers haven't moved much in he past 6 months. Looking at doing the Hepburn program starting after my next competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    In my first 8 weeks of the my IVS program (Log: Geezer Gainzzz) I made an average of 12% gains in 1RM over the Squat, Deadlift, Pres and Bench. Goal setting for the next 8 weeks, I’m going for 10% over all lifts, then 9% increase over the next, then 8%, then 7%, then finally 6%...(attempting to factor in diminishing returns). If this works, barring injury, here's where I land over each of the next 8 week periods (note “W16” means Week 16, “Now” is Week 8):

Chances are this model is too aggressive for a 64 YO but like Strega said “better to aim high than miss low”. Time will tell! And adjustments can be made…
    Everyone needs goals, but they have to be realistic goals or your training will be way off track.
    By the end of the year you want to add 145 lbs to your squat, 176 lbs to your deadlift, 70 lbs to your press, and 110 lbs to your bench.
    I have been around the iron game long enough to know that there is no way those kind of increases will be achieved in only 9 months.
    Best of luck with your training.

Default Goals?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss competing. At our age, the competition is injured or dead. Preparing for a meet can really sharpen your action toward achievement of a goal, be it total or in a particular lift. Plus the atmosphere is very inspiring and supportive. The young guys cheer on the geezers with great gusto and several have come up to me and said they hope they can still be lifting at my age. Pretty heady stuff and better than trying to see if the spiders in your home gym were impressed with that last workout or if a 20-something gym bunny noticed your manly bench press.

Despite all that, I'm moving on from competing in powerlifting to the highland games. My first goal is to try to successfully turn a caber. Then again, maybe I should amend that to just simply picking a caber from the ground.
    Absolutely. When I competed there were lots of guys 50 and 60 plus still competing. In one local meet I remember fellow who was mid 70s who managed to pull 315. I want to be that guy when I grow up.

Back in the day my goals were all specific numbers for lift at the next meet. Today the goal is just that at the end of the month the numbers are bigger than at the beginning of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post

Best of luck! You have done well and are aiming high!

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Everyone needs goals, but they have to be realistic goals or your training will be way off track.
    By the end of the year you want to add 145 lbs to your squat, 176 lbs to your deadlift, 70 lbs to your press, and 110 lbs to your bench.
    I have been around the iron game long enough to know that there is no way those kind of increases will be achieved in only 9 months.
    Best of luck with your training.
    Thanks and no doubt you are the voice of reason on this. I put the chart up partly to seed a discussion on how to predict diminishing returns. Each 8 weeks I'll calculate reality. At the end of the year, for this experiment of one, I'll know my rate of decline. If I burn out with this program, I'll make modifications and still track how advancement decelerates. I was very surprised by the first 8 weeks' progress, and prior to that things happened quickly, but have no expectation of meeting the numbers charted. What's your take on predicting the rate of diminishing returns?
    (OP, I'm not trying to hijack your thread by asking this question, I think this will add interest. But if you think otherwise, I'll open a new thread).
    Last edited by Bestafter60; 03-21-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Wow! So you practice Jujitsu too. I just made Shodan in Mushin Ryu Jujitsu in June last year. I'm teaching at the local park district now. Funny timing on your remark because I just made a back handed reference to arm locks in the Gray Steel Video thread. It's a stand up style of Jujitsu oriented strictly at self defense rather than competing. I have a collection of Old Guys Rule t-shirts and you've just inspired me. I am going to have an Old Guys Roll t-shirt made up.

The USPA, the federation I competed in, is having a meet at Rosemont May 6. ACTIVE | United States Powerlifting Association
    I did 3 years of BJJ with my younger son at a Carlson Gracie school, stopping at 50 when I got hurt in a boxing class. Concussion, subdural hematoma, craniotomy, and a promise to my wife of no more combat sports.

I see the USPA competition - there are apparently a bunch of these. I need to work on loosening up the shoulders and see if I can get strong enough to make a decent showing.

starting strength coach development program
    I just started squatting after so much time that I'm hoping for beginner gains because I pretty much am but I have no set goals other than regular progress for the next couple of months. Bench, no idea. It all depends on how my injury goes. Deadlift, I can train for real now but again, no real clue. I guess hoping to be back over 500 within a few months. Biggest goal this year - no injuries. But I'm old so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast