starting strength gym
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Goals?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss competing. At our age, the competition is injured or dead. Preparing for a meet can really sharpen your action toward achievement of a goal, be it total or in a particular lift. Plus the atmosphere is very inspiring and supportive. The young guys cheer on the geezers with great gusto and several have come up to me and said they hope they can still be lifting at my age. Pretty heady stuff and better than trying to see if the spiders in your home gym were impressed with that last workout or if a 20-something gym bunny noticed your manly bench press.

Despite all that, I'm moving on from competing in powerlifting to the highland games. My first goal is to try to successfully turn a caber. Then again, maybe I should amend that to just simply picking a caber from the ground.
    I agree about competition, but not about the caber. I've limited my competitions to the Fall Classic. Still, it's fun. I always win my class...since I'm the only one in it.

By the end of this year I hope for the following: Dead: 405; Squat: 315; Bench: 225; Press: 135. At age 70 that may be the best I can ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    By the end of this year I hope for the following: Dead: 405; Squat: 315; Bench: 225; Press: 135. At age 70 that may be the best I can ever do.
    It might be the best you can do at 70. You'll just have to pass those when you turn 71!

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Thanks and no doubt you are the voice of reason on this. I put the chart up partly to seed a discussion on how to predict diminishing returns. Each 8 weeks I'll calculate reality. At the end of the year, for this experiment of one, I'll know my rate of decline. If I burn out with this program, I'll make modifications and still track how advancement decelerates. I was very surprised by the first 8 weeks' progress, and prior to that things happened quickly, but have no expectation of meeting the numbers charted. What's your take on predicting the rate of diminishing returns?
    (OP, I'm not trying to hijack your thread by asking this question, I think this will add interest. But if you think otherwise, I'll open a new thread).
    You are not hijacking the thread at all - this is the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Thanks and no doubt you are the voice of reason on this. I put the chart up partly to seed a discussion on how to predict diminishing returns. Each 8 weeks I'll calculate reality. At the end of the year, for this experiment of one, I'll know my rate of decline. If I burn out with this program, I'll make modifications and still track how advancement decelerates. I was very surprised by the first 8 weeks' progress, and prior to that things happened quickly, but have no expectation of meeting the numbers charted. What's your take on predicting the rate of diminishing returns?
    (OP, I'm not trying to hijack your thread by asking this question, I think this will add interest. But if you think otherwise, I'll open a new thread).
    I dont think you can predict the rate of diminishing returns. You know how it goes, sometimes, despite your best efforts, things slow, stop or even regress. What we don't know is when, how often or how long this will last. It would be nice if there was a way to progress consistently forever; we'd all be record holders.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I agree about competition, but not about the caber.
    New horizons to try to conquer. It's all about new horizons. Given what I have accomplished in powerlifting, I need a new challenge.

New horizons to try to conquer. It's all about new horizons. Given what I have accomplished in powerlifting, I need a new challenge.
    I may have to look at this after all.

I may have to look at this after all.

Goal is to be off stupid diabetes and cholestoral meds in the next appointment or 2. Improved insulin sensitivity and sub 20% BF, so that I can look at a slight surplus and start really kicking ass.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    Goal is to be off stupid diabetes and cholestoral meds in the next appointment or 2. Improved insulin sensitivity and sub 20% BF, so that I can look at a slight surplus and start really kicking ass.
    Read the books:

Wheat Belly
    Cholesterol Clarity
    Keto Clarity
    The Complete Guide to Fasting by Jimmy Moore

His podcasts Keto Talk and Fasting Talk are excellent.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast