starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goals?

Default Goals?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since I have been back working out consistently for 5 months - that was basically my goal. Get re-started, make progress, don't hurt myself.

Now I feel like I need some more specific goals. I have no interest in competing. A couple of thoughts I have are 1000 pound sum of squat, deadlift, and bench, maybe some specific targets for each?

What are some goals that helped you that you achieved or are still striving for?

My goal is to go an entire year w/o a layoff from lifting, and w/o resetting weights. No matter how slow, I want to make progress for one entire year.

I've got a bad history of over-reaching, getting hurt and discouraged, and quitting only to start over later. It's time to break that bad habit.

My goal is to get over my elbow injury and actually begin The Programme.

I wouldn't dismiss competing. At our age, the competition is injured or dead. Preparing for a meet can really sharpen your action toward achievement of a goal, be it total or in a particular lift. Plus the atmosphere is very inspiring and supportive. The young guys cheer on the geezers with great gusto and several have come up to me and said they hope they can still be lifting at my age. Pretty heady stuff and better than trying to see if the spiders in your home gym were impressed with that last workout or if a 20-something gym bunny noticed your manly bench press.

Despite all that, I'm moving on from competing in powerlifting to the highland games. My first goal is to try to successfully turn a caber. Then again, maybe I should amend that to just simply picking a caber from the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    My goal is to go an entire year w/o a layoff from lifting, and w/o resetting weights. No matter how slow, I want to make progress for one entire year.

I've got a bad history of over-reaching, getting hurt and discouraged, and quitting only to start over later. It's time to break that bad habit.
    I don't overreach so much as I have let some life-thing get in the way and before I know it I have not worked out in weeks.... But the result is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss competing. At our age, the competition is injured or dead. Preparing for a meet can really sharpen your action toward achievement of a goal, be it total or in a particular lift. Plus the atmosphere is very inspiring and supportive. The young guys cheer on the geezers with great gusto and several have come up to me and said they hope they can still be lifting at my age. Pretty heady stuff and better than trying to see if the spiders in your home gym were impressed with that last workout or if a 20-something gym bunny noticed your manly bench press.
    Hmmmm ... so, you've seen the spiders in my basement.

I use straps to back squat due to shoulder tightness, surely those are not allowed - I admit that I have not committed to try loosening them up because just trying it hurts like hell (it made me a quick tap in BJJ for kimura and americana locks, and that was 7 years ago). I would also need to regular deadlift instead of use my shrug bar. Neither is insurmountable. I just checked and see that the Illinois meet is this weekend, so I would have a whole year to decide if I wanted to, work some things out and get stronger, Lord willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Then again, maybe I should amend that to just simply picking a caber from the ground.
    There was a yearly Highland Games where I lived. A surprising number of first timers couldn't do it. Harder than it looks.

My goal back in Nov 2016 was to DL over 400 for by my birthday come June 2017. Life got me derailed in December so I’m just really starting to get back into the swing of things now. I’m going to leave that goal in place with the caveat that if I can manage to drop a good 15 to 20 pounds in body weight by June I’ll make an adjustment to the DL goal.

2014 DL my ass out of bed was hard
    July 2015 250 lbs DL was heavy
    Dec 2015 315
    Nov 2016 340

Two solid months off I’m thinking 400 is a huge stretch but I’d rather aim high than low.

Quote Originally Posted by gnk View Post
    Hmmmm ... so, you've seen the spiders in my basement.
    Heh. Just a stab at covering all the bases there.

I use straps to back squat due to shoulder tightness, surely those are not allowed -
    Nope.

I admit that I have not committed to try loosening them up because just trying it hurts like hell (it made me a quick tap in BJJ for kimura and americana locks, and that was 7 years ago). I would also need to regular deadlift instead of use my shrug bar. Neither is insurmountable.
    Wow! So you practice Jujitsu too. I just made Shodan in Mushin Ryu Jujitsu in June last year. I'm teaching at the local park district now. Funny timing on your remark because I just made a back handed reference to arm locks in the Gray Steel Video thread. It's a stand up style of Jujitsu oriented strictly at self defense rather than competing. I have a collection of Old Guys Rule t-shirts and you've just inspired me. I am going to have an Old Guys Roll t-shirt made up.

I just checked and see that the Illinois meet is this weekend, so I would have a whole year to decide if I wanted to, work some things out and get stronger, Lord willing.
    The USPA, the federation I competed in, is having a meet at Rosemont May 6. ACTIVE | United States Powerlifting Association

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    There was a yearly Highland Games where I lived. A surprising number of first timers couldn't do it. Harder than it looks.
    I've seen some such myself. Fortunately, I have a railroad tie in my side yard to practice with. I spent the morning buying odds and ends to make a hammer with.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast