starting strength gym

Thread: Total Hip Replacements and Squatting

Wink Total Hip Replacements and Squatting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Watched Mark Rippetoe's video yesterday on the leg press for people who cannot physically do a squat. I have had both hips replaced due to arthritis and have not been able to squat for years; probably over 12 years, so I am sure all of the associated muscles and tendons are atrophied and tight. It might be longer than that. I can't remember the last time I squatted down to do anything. I can do the full range of motion in the pool, or unweighted, so I believe it's going to be possible to eventually squat with weight, but I can't do it without an assist yet. It is a lot harder than I anticipated. Yesterday, after watching the video, I went to the gym and used the 45* leg press machine.

So, I was able to do some warm up sets and three sets of leg presses on the machine. I plotted out a program that will get me squatting with a bar in a couple of months. Still slow, but faster than the "laying on the couch hoping it gets better" program was doing for me.

If you can do your 3 sets of 5 squats unweighted, I'd say start there. I started being unable to do 1 squat unweighted, maybe with a broom handle. I'm a firm believer in starting "where you are", and perhaps even erring a bit on the side of caution.

Also knee sleeves and sweat pants took away a lot of my aches, pains and crackly noises. I might also be tempted to focus on the Dead Lift more, because you might be able to handle more load with that. But as long as you are making progress on your current program I'd just keep doing what you are doing.

Good luck.

Thanks Cheesepuff. I should have said "weightless" not "unweighted". I can do the range of motion in the water. I can't do it on land yet. But between the leg press and practicing at home dozens of times a day, I think I will be able to do it eventually.
    I got some knee sleeves and I do wear sweat pants. Thanks. I wouldn't not have thought about warmth of my legs/knees, but it makes sense. Shoulda saved those leg warmers from my Jazzercise classes, huh?

With an old shoulder injury, I am afraid of injuring my shoulder so would like to have the equivalent of knee sleeves to keep my shoulders warm while working out. I can wear several layers of clothing to keep them warm. Trying to find or invent something to just keep my shoulders warm without making me hot and sweaty all over.

Would something like this help with the shoulders: Amazon.com: GOGO Black Double Shoulder Support, Neoprene Protector Wrap Brace - L: Sports & Outdoors

I honestly don't know - my shoulders are pretty okay so I've never had to deal with the issue.

I think you're on the right track - start with what you can do, and make it just a little bit harder each time. That's the way the adaptation model works.

Yup. Thanks OldDog.
    I saw that. I think I am going to try one of those. It's not exactly what I want, but I might be able to use it as a pattern for something that covers a little bit more than this seems to.
    Appreciate the encouragement.