starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Age Groups and Competition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Congrats on a successful first meet.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 04-02-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: ** ** **

Congratulations on your meet and thank you for the explanation. The meet will be C&J and snatch, not powerlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Ok, I can report my experiences at my first meet as related to your questions:

I was nervous as hell listening to the meet instructions, which began at about 9:15. After that 5 of us were in the locker room changing, when one guy mentioned this was his first meet. The rest of us said "same here", which created immediate relief and created *a shared sense of comeraderie that persisted throughout the day. I'll estimate 30-40% of us were first-timers.

At 64, a bit younger than you, I was the oldest guy in the meet, but not by a wide margin. There was a guy 61 years old, if I remember correctly, who was just huge, and looked like he could dominate the meet, despite a host of "crazy strong" 20-40 year olds. He, amazingly, missed 3 squat attempts and "bombed out" (was disqualified from further competition). I watched him complete the lifts, but the referees saw flaws in his form that disqualified the lifts.

That happened to me, too, earlier in the day. Lifts were scheduled in order from lowest to highest attempt weight and I was kinda low/middle. I heeded good advice and set my first lift low. It was my very first competition lift. Grabbed the bar, squatted and stood up very easily, then turned and saw two red lights. A FAIL! I did not go deep enough. Then in my upset state I neglected to give the judges a revised weight for my second lift. So I was surprised when I raised the bar off the racks and it weighs 30 lbs more! But I was still in my comfort zone at 280lbs, went 2" deeper than necessary and paused just to be sure, and lifted the weight without difficulty. Emotionally at that point I wanted to kick ass and go for a PR but opted for a conservative 300, which I successfully completed.*

Had another fail on my 3rd Press attempt of 165, despite pressing and holding the weight overhead. There was a slight stop/restart in upward progress, a disqualifier, which caused me to miss a PR.*

These were instructive misses. I'm attending the Seminar in June to see that they never happen again. And they kind of relaxed me for the rest of the meet.

For Deadlift, I made the first attempt but had a grossly wide grip. Upon successful completion, Rip said, "see Coach Reynolds before your next lift". Matt was kind enough to correct my grip and offer other tips. I completed the next two lifts and set a PR of 385lbs easily thanks in part to the advice.

Then two new buddies, Steve and Dave, in my age range blew me away and Deadlifted about 440 or 450 and reset my goals and my belief in what is possible. Then I watched a much stronger 40 yesr old named Craig deadlift about 450 with ease, talk to Matt, and set a new PR above 500lbs next time up. Then the crazy strong guys finished up in the 600's. There were about a dozen women competing. I was impressed by the amount some were lifting, and their amazing determination. They were great to watch.

There was geat cameraderie throughout the day and most guys talked about coming back in the Fall.

AParillo, to sum up, go for it, I think you'll enjoy the experience!
    Mark, you were awesome. I'm sure you will put up some bigger numbers next meet. Great to have you there. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AParrillo View Post
    Congratulations on your meet and thank you for the explanation. The meet will be C&J and snatch, not powerlifting.
    Unless someone else already said it you'll be in an age group if it's a usaw meet. 60-64 and then your weight class. I compete in the 50-54 right now..

Bestafter60. Not sure which lifter you were, I was in the second flight (age 51). I've been competing in olympic lifting meets for over 25 years and was probably as nervous as you were as this was my first "Strength lifting" meet also. Had a great time and will be back to many more.

About to leave East Texas (Longview) and open the first Starting Strength gym in DFW start of June. Will set up shop in Bedford. I'm going to focus on strength training for those 40 and up...

John, be sure to keep us posted on the new gym. I've yet to meet a local trainer who has a clue about us older lifters or the Starting Strength Method. Bedford is still a hike, is that set in stone? We could sure use a gym close to DT Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post
    Bestafter60. Not sure which lifter you were, I was in the second flight (age 51).

About to leave East Texas (Longview) and open the first Starting Strength gym in DFW start of June. Will set up shop in Bedford. I'm going to focus on strength training for those 40 and up...
    Jonh, I looked up your profile and yes, I remember seeing you there. I was the tall guy with the goatee in the first flight. Stood in the back talking to the the even taller guy, Craig, while your group lifted. Best of luck with the new gym. I'll be interested in paying a visit! Mike

Thanks both of you and appreciate it.

Yeah Bedford is where we are heading to. Should be signing a lease in the next week or so. Hope to open in June. Spent 11 years over in that area while working for Euless Trinity football program. Both our daughters live over there too.. Going to open a smaller semi private gym with three racks and three platforms (around 1,000 sq ft).

Quote Originally Posted by AParrillo View Post
    My trainer (24 yrs old and competitive Olympic style lifter) is encouraging me to compete in a Memorial Day weekend competition at one of the few weightlifting gyms within 50 miles of Boston. I see that the Masters group is 35 yrs. old and older, which would make me twice as old as the youngest masters competitor. Am I crazy to even consider competing with men half my age? I see guys at my gym in their 30's who weigh 25 lbs less than I easily C&J and snatch much more than I can on a good day. The stuff I read about a first competition says just do it. I would appreciate the perspective of those in their 60's and older who just starting competing. I actually have not answered my own question and would like to learn about the experience of others in my age range.
    I am in Boston. Where is the meet? Never done one. Think about it though....

starting strength coach development program
    The meet is at RWL in Franklin, MA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123