starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age Groups and Competition

Default Age Groups and Competition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My trainer (24 yrs old and competitive Olympic style lifter) is encouraging me to compete in a Memorial Day weekend competition at one of the few weightlifting gyms within 50 miles of Boston. I see that the Masters group is 35 yrs. old and older, which would make me twice as old as the youngest masters competitor. Am I crazy to even consider competing with men half my age? I see guys at my gym in their 30's who weigh 25 lbs less than I easily C&J and snatch much more than I can on a good day. The stuff I read about a first competition says just do it. I would appreciate the perspective of those in their 60's and older who just starting competing. I actually have not answered my own question and would like to learn about the experience of others in my age range.

Quote Originally Posted by AParrillo View Post
    My trainer (24 yrs old and competitive Olympic style lifter) is encouraging me to compete in a Memorial Day weekend competition at one of the few weightlifting gyms within 50 miles of Boston. I see that the Masters group is 35 yrs. old and older, which would make me twice as old as the youngest masters competitor. Am I crazy to even consider competing with men half my age? I see guys at my gym in their 30's who weigh 25 lbs less than I easily C&J and snatch much more than I can on a good day. The stuff I read about a first competition says just do it. I would appreciate the perspective of those in their 60's and older who just starting competing. I actually have not answered my own question and would like to learn about the experience of others in my age range.
    What federation? USAPL breaks down by 5 year increments 60-64, 65-69 etc. either way, why not participate even if you know you can not compete directly? Have your own goals for the meet, PR's, 9 for 9 etc.

Lou, as always, is spot on.

I have my first meet (USAPL) coming up in two weeks and all I'm working on are my own goals - not records or placement. Future meets, who knows.

To focus on anything else would be counterproductive.

Just training for the meet has been extremely beneficial in terms of breaking through some longstanding plateaus.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Lou, as always, is spot on.

I have my first meet (USAPL) coming up in two weeks and all I'm working on are my own goals - not records or placement. Future meets, who knows.

To focus on anything else would be counterproductive.

Just training for the meet has been extremely beneficial in terms of breaking through some longstanding plateaus.
    great to hear man...go kill it. Where is the meet?
    yeah, the first meet, a lifter's goal could be to just get 9 attempts...be in the meet. get the experience. soak it all in.

Man, my first meet was a cluster fuck. I nearly shit the bed. First 2 squat attempts were greeted by reds lights. My nerves..adrenaline.. whatever got to me. if I didn't get 2 whites on my third, I'm going home early. I did manage to get it and went on to finish.

The point is, you can't have a second or third, fourth meet, until you have your FIRST. No matter the goal...just have a goal that right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    great to hear man...go kill it. Where is the meet?
    yeah, the first meet, a lifter's goal could be to just get 9 attempts...be in the meet. get the experience. soak it all in.

Man, my first meet was a cluster fuck. I nearly shit the bed. First 2 squat attempts were greeted by reds lights. My nerves..adrenaline.. whatever got to me. if I didn't get 2 whites on my third, I'm going home early. I did manage to get it and went on to finish.

The point is, you can't have a second or third, fourth meet, until you have your FIRST. No matter the goal...just have a goal that right for you.
    The meet's here in Buffalo - THE BATTLE BY THE BORDER...or something like that.

And yes, I'm a tad anxious. I compete in other sports and I'm always nervous as all get out for the first few points of a match - so I'm working on staying in the moment as I get ready for this entry into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    The meet's here in Buffalo - THE BATTLE BY THE BORDER...or something like that.

And yes, I'm a tad anxious. I compete in other sports and I'm always nervous as all get out for the first few points of a match - so I'm working on staying in the moment as I get ready for this entry into the unknown.
    nothing wrong with being anxious. it means your alive. I can lay some shit on you if you like?

Competition is fun. Have you considered the fall classic through Starting Strength? Have you ever had a consultation with the Starting Strength coach in your area? SSCA : Coaching

Don't let nerves defeat you. My first year of competing I was a wreck, but managed to git 'er done. A brief list:

I blew my first attempt in the bench in my first meet, forgetting to await the "rack!" command.

I got called for hitching in my second meet as the heat and dehydration gave me the shakes during my 2nd DL attempt.

I qualified for the IPL Worlds and was the first guy to lift that day in the squats. Forgot to await the "squat!" command that time. Coupled with 4 mis-loads during the course of that meet by the platform crew.

Just keep breathing deep, and clear your mind of all but what you want to do on that attempt as you await your turn on the platform.

Wish I hadn't read this thread with all the crashes in people's first meet. Mine is tomorrow. I get up around 6:00, drive 2.5 hours to Mecca (aka Wichita Falls), check in early for reasons I don't understand but am doing on faith, and compete starting at 10:00 AM. I don't know anyone who's going, or who has ever done anything like this. I don't know how to select my 9 weights but I'm sure I'll get advice tomorrow. This kind of thing excites me, to be honest.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Wish I hadn't read this thread with all the crashes in people's first meet. Mine is tomorrow. I get up around 6:00, drive 2.5 hours to Mecca (aka Wichita Falls), check in early for reasons I don't understand but am doing on faith, and compete starting at 10:00 AM. I don't know anyone who's going, or who has ever done anything like this. I don't know how to select my 9 weights but I'm sure I'll get advice tomorrow. This kind of thing excites me, to be honest.
    Lol... Mecca? Make sure your opening attempts are weights you know you can easily make, then go from there. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast